Buying Glucosimine

Thread: Buying Glucosimine

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultBuying Glucosimine

Is there anything I need to keep in mind when choosing a brand? I am just going to start with Rocky (he is 3) now. I know I am to get Glucosimine CH (chonondrin or however you say it). And I will get humane grade (it's easier for me to get).

I've heard COSTCO has a good one but I rarely (if ever) go there so I am looking for other brands.

Oh and i saw one with CH AND MSM - I read something about msm being good but cannot find it??
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Buying Glucosimine

I'm told the Cosaquin/Cosamin DS (one is for human one is for animals I can't remember which is which) is one of the better ones. Mocha has been on it and it seemed to help the popping in her joints. I'm not real sure about others I've used Flex-a-min before for Mocha too and it helped too.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I try to stay with the human grade because it's not as costly as the dog formulas.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

I buy human grade too. You want to be sure and get Glucosamine Hydrochloride and Chondroitin Sulfate. The one I use is 1000mg combined 750/250

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Consumer Reports last year (maybe June? July?) had an article discussing the mixed results of G&C medical studies on people (in general, G&C was found most helpful among those with the greatest discomfort and least in those with minimal) and also rated brands for potency and price.

Costco's Kirkland brand was rated most potent and least expensive.

I don't know of any studies on G & MSM so can't answer your question.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ahhh, found a copy. It's June, 2006. They have a note on other supplelments such as MSM, and said "there's not enough information on longterm safety and efficacy to recommend trying...."

Costco's Kirkland Glucosamine HCl 1500 mg & Chondroitin Sulfate 1200 mg, sells for about $25 for 170 tablets.

Rated 2nd was "Spring Valley" brand from WalMart, 3rd was Target's, 5th was K-Mart, 8th was Safeway, 10th was Walgreen, 11th was Osteo Bi-Flex

In the "marginally Adequate" group were 21st Century and Glucoflex.

In the "Inadequate" group were FlexAble and Trader Darwin's

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Thanks

I am looking ONLY at humane grade (easier for me to buy as well) and I guess i'll wait to hear what the verdict on MSM studies are in a few (many?) years before starting with that.

I can't do COSTCO brand as it's very very unpractical for me to go there (plus i'd have to buy a card just for this).

So other than the two ingredients mentioned (Glucosamine Hydrochloride and Chondroitin Sulfate) are there with no "extra"s I am ok?

are there issues with the coating/capsules?
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Yes, I'd stick with the G&C -- probably from WalMart. There are so many things I like at Costco, that it's worth the membership cost and the 140 mile drive -- Puff's and my G&C plus their Fish Oil, Puff's Kirkland C&R dog food, their balsamic vinegar, their rotesserie chickens, mixed nuts, eye glasses, etc.

Not aware of any G&C coating issues.

I put a small dollop of peanut butter on the G&C tablet and Puff swallows it. It's a habit, just before serving her supper, every evening.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

My vets have all told me that my dogs need 1500 mg per day. Keep that in mind

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Our Costco is doubling it's membership fee this year. I will not be renewing. I only go there for Glucosamine for the most part. I will be getting it at Super Walmart instead.

Thanks for posting the info on the Spring Valley brand Bob!!

blaisberg is offline Member

Don't get enteric coatings on any pills for your dogs - the coating is designed for humans where it will get dissolved in our stomachs. With dogs, the pills will move to their intestinal tract before the coating is dissolved, so they won't absorb as much.