Nutro Ultra

Thread: Nutro Ultra

DefaultNutro Ultra

I have been thinking of changing dog foods just because it seems like Gus eats so much and is still skinny. He eats about 6-8 cups of Diamond lamb and rice. I have a hard time finding decent food where I live because it is a small town. But we have been having a growth spurt the last few years and recently notice our farmer store had Nutro Ultra. Would this be a good change or is the food very similiar? I am hoping to have a good food that I don't have to feed so much.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Nutro Ultra

Nutro Ultra is decent...

They are similar in calories. Is he an active dog? He may need a performance food instead.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Yes, he is an active dog. I have not been able to keep weight on him though he is healthy.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I don't know if Nutro Ultra would have any more calories for putting on weight than Diamond. I would definately stay away from the LB formula because it has the corn gluten in it.

There are several companies on line that sell dog food and do free shipping...you should try to order through them and then your choices are limitless.

Switch him to a performance food and see if he maintains his weight better.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

What makes you think Gus is underweight? How much does he weigh and how tall is he at the withers (top of the shoulders)?

From your picture of him showing his long muzzle, he looks very much like a field line Lab. These never get the blocky, stocky build of a bench line Lab. They're leaner, lankier, leggier, with sickle shaped tails rather than the straight, thick otter-like tail of the bench line Lab. No matter how much food they eat, they keep the field line look.

6-8 cups/day of Diamond is a LOT of food and a LOT of kcals; is it Diamond Naturals or plain Diamond? 6-8 cups/day is probably enough for a 150 lb. dog.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

(I forgot to mention-Gus is my rottweiler)...he is about 90 lbs and I can see ribs. I have had him dewormed twice because I thought maybe he had tapeworm from staying so thin. He runs and runs and runs. I tried to lower his food intake but then he would loose weight and I could see his hipbones. I don't measure the food but I am guessing roughly it is about 7 cups give or take...more than double my labrador which is at a good weight with 2-3 cups a day. I feed twice a day if that matters.

Where can I find more information on ordering dog food to my home?

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

I use the Nutro Ultra for Rowan. I am switching her to ORIJEN for the simple reason is that she has a lot of dandruff in her coat from the Nutro but if it weren't for that - I'd leave her on it.
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•