Hot Spots or Something Else?

Thread: Hot Spots or Something Else?

DefaultHot Spots or Something Else?

We have a very allergic 1 year old lab who is constantly itching! He was diagnosed with allergie (through testing) to almost 20 different enviornment/food items. After many food switches, we've finally found a winner.....Solid Gold Barking at the Moon. He loved EVO RM, but it was way too rich for him! He digests the Moon great and has great stools and a great coat, but we noticed something this past week. It seems that Payton is getting bumps on top of his muzzle and 1 bigger one on his head. They are scab like and the hair seems to either fall out or looks like it falls out where the spots are. My question is if it might be a allergy to the new food (all ingredients are ok), and enviornemntal thing, or if it's from hoseing him off everyday to cool him down after a long walk? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jlab Guest

DefaultRe: Hot Spots or Something Else?

Have you had the vet take a look at it? Could you post a picture? It could be acne but acne is usually on the bottom of the muzzle.

Hot spots don't usually show up on the muzzle unless they've infected most of the rest of the body as well. I don't think the water hosing caused it - if anything, it probably helps.

If still an allergy, could be the new food - have you tried a raw food diet? It boosts the immune system and many allergy conditions disappear for most dogs on a raw food diet.

It could still be environmental - he may have an allergy to what you're cleaning with.

Thanks for the response! I hope it's not the new food and I don't think it is due to the fact all ingredients on it he's not allergic to. Could it be mites? His ears art slightly (very) red in some areas and he shakes his head sometimes. I'll try and get a picture posted.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jlab Guest

Yes, could be mites/mange. Only way to know for sure is to bring him to the vet for the skin scrapings.

This was the best I could do.

Oops..... here you go:

jlab Guest

I'm no expert but it looks like some kind of small hot spots to me. Maybe some other members seeing the picture will recognize it and post a response. Anyway, the vet should be able to diagnose this pretty easily and give you something to clear it up.

Those aren't hot spots. Hot spots are usually moist and oozy and spread like crazy. My dog has gotten something similar when I give him a treat that has an ingredient that does not agree with him. Once I stop the treat, they go away. What kind of treats do you give? How much EVO were you feeding?

I fed roughly a little over a cup twice a day, but it was far too rich for him. He loves the SOlid Gold Barking at the moon which we switched him to about a week before the problem started on his nose/face. All the ingredients are fine according to his allergy test as well as his eagle pack treat (chicken). I'm not sure if it's maybe the food or a coincidence that right now he's on no antibiotics which he usually is due to his sever allergies and the allergy shots he gets every 2 weeks. I'm not sure what would be in the food that would make him react like this. I mean he has eaten beef/salmon/potatoes before with no problems?

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

You may want to have the vet look at it - but I would want a skin scraping for diagnosis before just putting the dog on meds.

I know you don't think its the food but you could try feeding him a home cooked diet for a few days and see if it goes away. Chicken and rice or pasta or the like.

Try that for say 3-5 days and see what happens.