Giardia (not to hijack the other thread...)

Thread: Giardia (not to hijack the other thread...)

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultGiardia (not to hijack the other thread...)

Laura - you mentioned in the other thread that once you have giardia it's always there. I assume this means you treat when their are symptoms and otherwise let it go.

My vet had me treat Rocky with Panacur over and over again when he had NO signs. I had his stool tested since he'd had giardia a few months previous and they had told me to have him tested again (which I put off for too long as he he was fine) So for the heck of it I had him tested. He was positive for cysts, and though I repeatedly said he had ABSOLUTELY no symptoms they highly recommended treating.

I was in touch with people's who's dogs were in contact with Rocky and they went to their vets. Their vets said no to bother testing if their dogs were not showing any symptoms.

So if I understand correctly, I should not have treated Rocky at all at that point, nor worried about other dogs he was in contact with as he had no symptoms?? I shouldn't have bothered testing him either? (at $80 a shot for the test no less - and he had 2 more tests after that!)

Sounds like I need to call around for a new vet (which I was leaning towards doing anyway)
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Giardia (not to hijack the other thread...)

No I do not treat unless I am seeing symptoms. When I have stool checks done, they usually are showing cysts, but if the dog isn't expressing symptoms we ignore it.

Laura

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I didn't realize that it didn't go away. But it makes sense because Hudler had it as a young guy and then months later when we got Maddy (even though he appeared fine) she ended up getting it too, and when we finally had a decent vet treat it (panacur and not flagyl) turned out Hud tested positive too.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jen, the body builds up an immunity to it as the dog (human) gets older. Then we see it when the dog (human) is under stress.

That's why I usually see it with the puppies after they've been weaned, vaccinated and harpooned. Their little bodies are stressed and whammo!

Laura

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Thank you for confirming that for me The fact that the other vets were not even TESTING the dogs that Rocky came into contact with was a huge hint I'm not so much mad about the waste of money (though it was) but the impact of using so much panacur and shots on Rocky's body and that for month's I stressed about Rocky not going to flyball practice or dog parks (even though there were no visible signs).

live and learn
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Neska74 is offline Senior Member

Saba had giardia last summer. He wasn't even a year old and it started with me being up between 1 to 5 times a night with him because he had the runs. And the stool had a terrible odour. He got it from a lake (or so the vet though) becuase he had a few other dogs that swam in the same lake and they also tested positive for giardia (the lake is normally contamined with different bacterias - learned later, he no longer swims there). At one point, to get a good test reading, I had to put a bowl under his butt to get a "clean" stool sample... he kept moving away looking back at me as in "crazy lady, move away, I'm trying to poop!" aaah, the things we do for our furry kids. Anyway, he was on numerous antibiotics and at one point he was so dehydrated the poor guy had to get IV with fluids. We thought at one point giardia was gone but then it came back. More shots, more antibiotics (can't remember the names anymore) but finally it went away, and knock on wood, that was last year and he's been fine since. I was told by my vet that Saba built up immunity and it shouldn't come back. Mind you, if I expose him to it, just like anything else, he'd probably get it, just like a cold. All in all I think we tried treating it for nearly 4 months. It was exhausting for Saba and me, mentally and financially (thankfully I have pet insurance). Hope he'll never get it again.

scutter is offline Senior Member

What is Giardia and what are the symptoms??? always want to learn more about labs

Thanks

Benelli's buddy

do a google on giardia in dogs. Lots of links will come up for you.

Laura