hi all
    is giving my lab apple slices for a treat good for his weight loss
    thanks rigk

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: fruit

My Puff likes fresh banana, melons, apples, peaches, apricots, strawberries but I'm not sure it helps with weight loss. (With cherries, peaches, apricots avoid the pits.) No grapes or raisins.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Tuckersmydog is offline Senior Member

I think slices are fine, but DON'T give a whole apple! I learned that the hard way...while your dog may ingest it and everything might seem fine, the core and seeds are actually REALLY bad for dogs and can be poisonous...

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TimC. is offline Senior Member

Yup, apple seeds have cyanide in them.
    Olie

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Green beans are better.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Buddercup is offline Junior Member

for weight loss, we were told carrots, broccoli, celery, and green beans. Buddie loves carrots the most, with frozen green beans stuffed in her toy a close second. We've eliminated all dog treats and she's actually lost 2 pounds in the past month, so we know it works slowly but surely!

jlab Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckersmydog
    I think slices are fine, but DON'T give a whole apple! I learned that the hard way...while your dog may ingest it and everything might seem fine, the core and seeds are actually REALLY bad for dogs and can be poisonous...
    I've fed apple cores to my labs for years without any harmful effects so I'm curious how you "learned the hard way"? My labs love apple cores so much that whenever they see anybody eating an apple, they sit very patiently and their mouths start salivating! Although there's some truth in this (apple seeds contain cyanide), the amount of cyanide is very small and the hard seed coating keeps it encapsulated as it quickly moves through a dog's digestive system (natures way of planting new apple trees far from the source). Here's a link that talks about this urban legend:

http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/apples.asp

Quote Originally Posted by jlab
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuckersmydog
    I've fed apple cores to my labs for years without any harmful effects so I'm curious how you "learned the hard way"? My labs love apple cores so much that whenever they see anybody eating an apple, they sit very patiently and their mouths start salivating! Although there's some truth in this (apple seeds contain cyanide), the amount of cyanide is very small and the hard seed coating keeps it encapsulated as it quickly moves through a dog's digestive system (natures way of planting new apple trees far from the source). Here's a link that talks about this urban legend:

http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/apples.asp

I fed Tucker slices forever without problem and one night I gave him an apple to keep him busy...I didn't think much of it at the time..continued to give him a few more....no problem...a few weeks later I thought (wow, that is probably better for him calorie wise than giving him a Kong filled with peanut butter and other snacks and it took him a while to eat...well, he got VIOLENTLY sick from it...knock on wood, Tucker has a pretty solid stomach and little makes him sick but WOW was he sick!! I took him to the vet and had to recount everything he ate over the past 24 hours...when I got to the apple, the vet asked if I gave him slices or core/seeds...I said he ate the whole thing...(but he had done it before without problems)...the vet said the core/seeds are really bad for dogs...it probably won't hurt them every now and then, but if fed too often or too many could be dangerous...I haven't given him a whole apple since, but I have asked other people if they ever heard this and a couple of vets said the same thing...I didn't go to medical school and I saw and ugly consequence so I won't challenge it personally and simply pass on what I learned...take it for whatever it is worth...one other things...sorry, this explanation is probably more than you were interested in..lol.,..but...Tucker has really bad allergies and is on a very restricted diet...he eats prescription Duck and Potato, hypo allergenic treats, occassionally apples or carrots but that is really about it so there is no chance it was a table scrap or something he ate outside (he is only out on a leash and if he is at the park or something, I watch him like a hawk) or any other random snack...so THAT is my conclusion...

jlab Guest

Tuckersmydog,

I wasn't trying to be confrontational or trying to challenge you on this - I was just curious what the circumstances were. Thanks for the explanation. I wonder if Tucker got sick not from the apple seeds themselves but from a combination of the apple along with the peanut butter and other snacks (all these things digesting at different rates and causing the stomach upset).

Did the vet give him something to counteract the effects of the cynanide or did he just get better on his own? I understand that apple seeds contain such a minute amount of cyanide that it would take a mug full of crushed seeds to even have any noticable effect on a human. I would think it would be much the same for dogs.

It would be interesting to hear if anyone else had a similar experience with feeding apple cores.

jlab...sorry, I didn't think you were being confrontational...I was trying to be complete to answer any questions you might have had...sorry if it came out defensive...lol...actually...there was no peanut butter at the time of the apple...just dinner and apple before that was just breakfast and a few hypo all. treats...the vet wasn't overly concerned at the time...he just advised me not to give whole apples in the future...maybe it was a "CYA" situation for him, I have no idea, but when it comes to Tucker, I am an overprotective parent and anything that MIGHT be a problem, I shy away from...I was only passing on what I learned...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast