Anal gland question again

Thread: Anal gland question again

Barnsley is offline Senior Member

DefaultAnal gland question again

So you may remember that a couple of months ago I first noticed Barnsley was emitting an odor and figured out it was anal gland related. I took him to the vet and had them emptied for the first time (he is 2 yrs. old). So today I am sitting on the couch and he is lying on the floor and I smell that terrible smell. I check out his bottom and when he moves I see a quarter size area of tan fluid on the carpet.
    Is this normal for them to express it like that? He didn't get startled or anything like that, he was just sleeping. Any info would be great.
    <br />Barnsley &amp; Lilly from Okinawa, Japan

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_bearsdad is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Anal gland question again

It can happen.

Usually with mine it happens during some excitement or stress.
    <br /><br />&quot;in moments of joy, all of us wish we possessed a tail we could wag.&quot;<br />w.h. auden<br /><br />&quot;This is worse than a divorce... I&#39;ve lost half of my net worth and I still have my wife&quot;

pj
    pj is offline Senior Member

not sure if it's normal or not, but theo has emptied/leaked his anal glands during a nap before too. it only happens maybe once or twice a year, and it's usually not much, but the smell is unmistakeable of course. and it is yellowish in color too. he usually wakes up right away and starts licking the area and then...the smell!
    <br />pj, theo &amp; dexter

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Barnsley is offline Senior Member

thanks, I feel better if other dogs have experienced leakage while sleeping I hope that means they don't need to be emptied now.
    <br />Barnsley &amp; Lilly from Okinawa, Japan