Heartworm prevention
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heartworm prevention

Castaway is offline Senior Member

DefaultHeartworm prevention

Heartworm has become an issue here in Greece. :-[
    My vet is promoting an injectable prevention called Guardian whose main ingredient is Moxidectin.Manufacturer is Fort Dodge which seems to be Wyeth, but i cant find it on their site.
    Moxidectin seems to be used on horses, which makes me worry this may be a heavy duty product.
    Any in put anyone?

Edited to say I am wondering if Guardian is the name Proheart is marketed under here?
    https://justlabradors.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic370_1.gif The more people I meet the more I like my dog

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Heartworm prevention

I don't know...but I would probably stay away from it...the proheart stuff is bad.

See if you can't get the once a month chewables like heartguard or inteceptor.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

ruff n tumble crew is offline Senior Member

Moxidectin was the active ingredient in Proheart.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

talleyJudy is offline Senior Member

and Fort Dodge has a poor reputation with the vets I go to and or consult with concerning their vaccine products along with their other 'new product releases'........

In fact, my now 11+1/2 year old Auggie has not had any heart worm preventative since spring of '98; but I do have her blood checked for it every Spring and so far her tests have been 'negative'.

Just depends on the risk one is willing to take because both approaches involve "risk", and sometimes the prevention is riskier than the cure.

For myself, I would really shy away from an injectable - you can't get that back out of the dog's system if it goes wrong. But if there is an indication of problems with a monthly chewable, one can stop giving it.

Just my $.02 worth........
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

Auggie 12/29/95 ~ 01/15/09

MollyDoodlesDaddy is offline Junior Member

I have tried to find information on just how prevalent heartworm is in certain regions, but cannot find any info. How likely is it Labs will get bit by a mosquito? I have to wonder if heartworm cases are a real minority and an exploited area for Vets to earn revenue.

I have read that some of the annual vaccines a vet recommends have a half life of 7 years! Most have a half life of 3 years, yet the vet wants us to bring our dogs in every year for shots which can be toxic to our beloved dogs.

How often do people get vaccines? Once or twice in a lifetime.

From what I have read many of the heartworm meds are neurotoxic.

CenTexLabs is offline Senior Member

Heartworm medicines aren't really a preventative. Well, ok, they prevent the Heartworm from growing by killing the microfilaria once they are inside the dog. Basically, you are putting chemicals into the dog whether they are infected or not.

Having said that, yes, I do give all of my dogs Heartguard for now. I have lost 2 dogs to heartworms and I have one that is heartworm positive right now. None of them have been labs, however, a dog bit by a heartworm ridden mosquito is still a dog infected, lab, yorkie, husky, wolf, whatever. I can't take that chance again.

Quote Originally Posted by CenTexLabs
    Heartworm medicines aren't really a preventative. Well, ok, they prevent the Heartworm from growing by killing the microfilaria once they are inside the dog. Basically, you are putting chemicals into the dog whether they are infected or not.

Having said that, yes, I do give all of my dogs Heartguard for now. I have lost 2 dogs to heartworms and I have one that is heartworm positive right now. None of them have been labs, however, a dog bit by a heartworm ridden mosquito is still a dog infected, lab, yorkie, husky, wolf, whatever. I can't take that chance again.
    Sorry to hear about your losses. What region do you live in, and what type of dogs did you lose to heartworm?

Barron Bunch is offline Senior Member

Heartworm Disease maps :
    http://www.heartwormsociety.org/down...cidencemap.jpg
    http://cal.vet.upenn.edu/merial/hrtworm/hw_3.htm
    http://www.heartworm-hotline.org/
    http://www.idexx.com/animalhealth/te...dx/prevmap.htm

Other info:
    http://www.heartwormsociety.org/

Down here in the south, heartworm disease is prevalent. Of the dogs we pull from animal control - more than 75% of them are heartworm positive. Our vet clinic has seen cases where dogs on heartworm prevention have tested positive and they've seen cases where dogs missing just 1 month of prevention have also tested positive.

Our program has lost 2 very wonderful labs to heartworm disease. One was a senior and we lost him during his heartworm treatment recovery and one was a young adult and we lost him before treatment was started.
    Dina &amp; The Barron Bunch<br />STLRR - Southeast Texas Labrador Retriever Rescue

Thank you for those resources! I am in Northern Kentucky and it does not appear to be as prevalent here. What is the least toxic preventative?

Barron Bunch is offline Senior Member

I really cant vouch for least toxic. I haven't researched toxicity on any of these.

We use Heartgard or Iverhart oral medications for most of our dogs. But we also use Sentinel and Interceptor on occasion.

My personal dogs are on Sentinel except for Sara my oldest rescue who is on Iverhart. She was heartworm positive when we got her and only Iverhart & Heartgard are aproved for use in heartworm positive dogs.

I do not feel comfortable using a topical for heartworm prevention so I do not use or recommend Revolution or the new Advantage Multi.

Dina &amp; The Barron Bunch<br />STLRR - Southeast Texas Labrador Retriever Rescue

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast