Won't eat dry food

Thread: Won't eat dry food

Krak is offline Junior Member

DefaultWon't eat dry food

So Beamer, my black lab mix, hasn't been eating for a few days and I took him to the vet today. Hes about 10 weeks old or so. The vet tried feeding him wet food and he gobbled it up. Now my question is, how do I get my dog to eat dry food? I tried mixxing some wet food with his dry food and he still didn't eat the dry food. Is there anyway?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_kiddsmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Won't eat dry food

Moisten the food with tepid water, put in down about 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, pick it up and do not give him anything until the evening meal. Again, moisten fresh food with tepid water, put it down for 15 mins, then pick it up again. Do this for a few days. He'll get the hint.
    <br />Oregon

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

I wouldn't moisten the food to the point of mush. Just enough water to swish it around quick and make a gravy. Adding the water can also aid in digestion and absorption.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Feed 3X/ day if possible with moistened food until 6 months of age. At that time you can go to 2X/day -- and possibly skip the moistening.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

My dogs get water in their food for their entire lives. But not "soaked" in water.

MollyDoodlesDaddy is offline Junior Member

Something that I have found that helps dog food become more palatable is to mix about a tablespoon of concentrated soup like cream of chicken, mushroom, or cheese and mix that with some water. We get the big generic cans and store what we don't use in the frig.

My picky eaters like that a lot

robinsegg26 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kiddsmom
    Moisten the food with tepid water, put in down about 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, pick it up and do not give him anything until the evening meal. Again, moisten fresh food with tepid water, put it down for 15 mins, then pick it up again. Do this for a few days. He'll get the hint.
    this is what we do with the fosters that come in too. usually they were being fed table scraps or other dry food and it takes them awhile but they get the hint