Congested Labrador!

Thread: Congested Labrador!

DefaultCongested Labrador!

We have a 1-year old. He snorts quite frequently when he is smelling things. When we throw a ball in the water for him to retrieve, he snorts the whole time because (we suspect) he can't breath well through his nose. He also ends up ingesting a lot of sea water which is tough on his tummy. We mentioned this to the vet and they checked his airways when he was under for his neutering and they said everything looked normal. She said it could be an allergy but he seems to have had this the whole time we've had him.

I was wondering if anyone else's lab has a similar problem. We don't know if it is something we should be concerned about or not. He LOVES to swim and retrieve but we feel badly that he ends up drinking so much sea water or pool water and then upsetting his stomach.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Congested Labrador!

is it a humming noise? Purring sounding even?

IF so, it's normal and his sniffer is just fine.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

No, it is louder like a pig.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jlab Guest

I suspect part of the problem may be a conditioning issue. Both my labs would do this if they had not exercised in awhile or were too tired after retrieving too long in the water. I noticed that when they were in really well conditioned (after many days of regular intense exercise), the snorts went way down or disappeared entirely.

Thanks so much for your replies.

What do you mean by intense exercise? He gets tons of exercise but I'm not sure how intense it is. He gets 40 minute walks two to three times a day, as well as swimming on the weekends. He usually doesn't snort while walking unless he is smelling something. The only time the snorting is constant is while swimming. That happens as soon as he's in the water with a ball in his mouth. If he is in the water without a ball in his mouth, the snorting goes down.

jlab Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bythesea71
    Thanks so much for your replies.

What do you mean by intense exercise? He gets tons of exercise but I'm not sure how intense it is. He gets 40 minute walks two to three times a day, as well as swimming on the weekends. He usually doesn't snort while walking unless he is smelling something. The only time the snorting is constant is while swimming. That happens as soon as he's in the water with a ball in his mouth. If he is in the water without a ball in his mouth, the snorting goes down.
    Intense meaning exercise such as swimming. Walking would be more low level exercise. More regular intense swimming exercise (every day as opposed to weekend warrior) will give him better conditioning for this type of exercise and make his breathing more regular and less labored (less snorting).

Based on your latest description, I don't think he has any kind of phyical problem. He's just breathing through his mouth when he has the ball in his mouth. The ball keeps his mouth open which allows some water to come in along with the air he's trying to breath. This is causing the snorting. When he's swimming without the ball in his mouth, he's breathing through his nose which keeps out most of the water and he doesn't have to snort.