Dirty Ear

Thread: Dirty Ear

DefaultDirty Ear

Lately Rocky has had reddish build up in his right ear. I don't think it's an ear infection as his ear smells normal. He has been swimming alot lately in our pool and I'm thinking that may have something to do with it. He's not scratching at all. It's just in one ear. There doesn't seem to be any inflamation. I just clean it out every other day. I put some drops in his ears to prevent ear infections. Any thoughts as to what it may be?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Dirty Ear

It could be a yeast issue from all the swimming. He needs to have his ear scoped to truly see what is going on. You don't necessarily need an odor to have an infection.

What drops are you using as a preventative?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowco Labradors
    What drops are you using as a preventative?
    I got the drops at Walmart. I can't remember the name right now. They are used to clean dirty ears and as maintenance to prevent ear infections.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

You may want to try a home made cleaner of 1/3 water, 1/3 white viniger, 1/3 alcohol or witch hazel (or half and half).

Shake well before each use. Put on cotton pads and clean ears. Be sure to not use one pad in both ears. If there is an infection in one ear you can spread it to the other.

I still feel you should have the vet take a look to be sure you don't need otomox or the like for an infection.

Good luck, I hope you can get this cleared up.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I usually rinse suspect ears out with a mixture of witch hazel, boric acid and tea tree oil. Usually one rinse cures whatever funk is happening. Otherwise, we don't do routine ear cleaning, so I have been pretty happy with the results...

Can an ear infection be transferred from one dog to another?

LKG

I'm not sure if the infection can be transferred or not, but just wanted to mention that I buy an ear cleaning solution from my vet's office. It seems to work really well although Daisy hates it when I clean her ears!

I would say no to the transfer as long as you are not using the same cotton to clean ears of both dogs.

Jen, what is the ratio of WH, BA, TO that you mix and I assume this does not need to be refridgerated?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowco Labradors
    You may want to try a home made cleaner of 1/3 water, 1/3 white viniger, 1/3 alcohol or witch hazel (or half and half).

Shake well before each use. Put on cotton pads and clean ears. Be sure to not use one pad in both ears. If there is an infection in one ear you can spread it to the other.

I still feel you should have the vet take a look to be sure you don't need otomox or the like for an infection.

Good luck, I hope you can get this cleared up.

The only thing about using alcohol is that if there are any open sores or cuts in the ear the alcohol is going to burn.
    Olie