Poor guy has kennel cough :-(

Thread: Poor guy has kennel cough :-(

Bentleysmom is offline Junior Member

DefaultPoor guy has kennel cough :-(

Our four month old yellow lab, Bentley, came down with kennel cough this week and is just miserable. We took him to the ER and he received all of his meds, but my heart's just breaking for the little guy.

He had all of his vaccinations but, as the vet informed us, they can come down with new strains just like we can with the flu despite receiving a flu shot.

He hasn't been boarded at all, but he did attend day care last week and we're afraid that's where he got it. He goes to a very high end facility in Chicago and, according to the vet, wasn't the first dog to come in last week with kennel cough after being at that same place. Needless to say, I'll be talking with them tomorrow.

My question is...how long after they start taking their antibiotics can we expect him to feel better? His energy level is up slightly, but the poor puppy just coughs and gags any time he gets excited.

Thanks so much for your help!
    Jenn

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Poor guy has kennel cough :-(

Hi Jenn!

Oh boy, I can sympathize! Henry picked up KC from his daycare also (around the same age as your Bentley), from two dogs who had picked it up from a dog park. Fortunately, like Bentley, he had the bordetella vaccine and so his run with KC was a lot more mild than the other dogs who hadn't been vaccinated for it. Your vet is right, the bordetella vaccine only covers a few strains of KC, much like the human flu shot. It won't prevent it, but it will make it a lot milder.

Our vet didn't put him on anything (some vets will give ABs in case it goes deeper into the dog's chest) and I think it ran its course in about 2 weeks or so. You'll have to keep Bentley away from any other dog during this time, to prevent spreading it.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum!

Dani is offline Senior Member

I don't do antibiotics so...I couldn't tell you...I usually just let them ride it out and give robotussin as needed...it's usually gone in a few days.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fitnessdiva
    Needless to say, I'll be talking with them tomorrow.
    I wouldn't do that. Whenever you take your dog anywhere where there are other dogs, you risk contracting KC. It's not the facility's fault that your dog got sick, all they can do is ask that dogs be vaccinated against bordatella, if the dog(s) come down with a new strain, that sucks, but they are not at fault.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Bentleysmom is offline Junior Member

Thanks so much, everyone, for your advice! He sounds better than he did a few days ago and I know the cough supressents are helping quite a bit...and make him a bit drowsy which, with him unable to play with other dogs & get out that energy, is a good thing!

I did alert the day care about his problem & they were appreciative that we told them simply because it's such an airborne illness & it's helpful to know that it's been flying around their facility. Unfortunately, he'll be missing his puppy class graduation this week, which is a bummer...a drop-out at four months ;-)

Thanks again!
    Jenn