Skinned pad

Thread: Skinned pad

GunnyandRuger is offline Junior Member

DefaultSkinned pad

Sometime during the day, most likely after running, Ruger skinned a pad on one of his front paws. It's about the size of a quarter, and I can tell it's REALLY painful. I'm inclined to put some Neosporin (or the like) on it and cover it up for a day or two, to give it a chance to heal up. Is that ok, or should I do or use something else?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Skinned pad

I'd leave it open to the air. It will heal quicker.

Murray tears his pads up running on the kool deck and leaping into the pool. Usually they are just raw but earlier this year he ripped off large pieces of the pad (about dime size circumfrence and thickness) and the pieces were hanging. I took him to the vet and she said to leave them alone and they would dry up and fall off on their own. Murray was really ouchy for a about 2-3 days (would actually collapse from pain when he stepped on a rock or piece of grass with a sore foot) but he was significantly better after 3 days and actually competed in a show on day 5.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

blaisberg is offline Member

If there's no flap of skin hanging off, clean the area really well and you can apply K9 Liquid Bandage. It'll last a day or so and keep it clean while it heals.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

GunnyandRuger is offline Junior Member

I cleaned it up this morning with some warm water, and put some neosporin (with the pain relief) and a bandage. He seemed pretty thankful and didn't protest at all. A few hours later he had freed himself from the gauze, and he's been taking it easy, walking pretty gingerly. It looks better, not so raw.

I'll keep it cleaned up and keep an eye on it. Thanks for the responses!