Not wanting to eat enough?

Thread: Not wanting to eat enough?

Krak is offline Junior Member

DefaultNot wanting to eat enough?

Well I just picked up my puppy, Black Lab mix, 9 weeks old or so from the shelter. So I tried feeding Beamer this morning and he eats about a half a cup out of the cup and a half that I served him. He weighs 7.4 lbs. Should I be worried that he doesn't want to eat that much? I didn't feed him any treats because this was first thing in the morning. I left the food in the bowl and he would occasionally go back to eat and take a bite or two but thats it. He was acting the same way yesterday when I first picked him up from the vet.

I didn't change his brand of food either, I'm using the same stuff he was fed at the shelter. I'm taking him in for a check up on tuesday but should I take him in sooner than that? thanks.

Here is a picture of Beamer ;D

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

talleyJudy is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Not wanting to eat enough?

You might ask the shelter worker if they moistened/soaked his kibble first. But sounds like he is doing pretty good if he's eating 1/2 cup.

1/2 cup for a 9 week old does sound about right considering the size of his tummy.

Of course that 1/2 cup would be fed to the puppy at each of four (4) feedings a day.
    Puppies that young eat at least four times a day; for instance 6am, 11am, 4 to 5pm and again at 9pm. As the pup grows older his feeding time can be cut to 3 times a day and then finally to the permanent adult schedule of 2 times a day (am & pm).

Beamer weighs only 7.5 #, so 1/2 cup at one feeding is pretty much his capacity right now; plus consider that that 1/2 cup will be offered to him at the other 3 mealtimes too. ;D

Tuesday seems soon enough for a 'recheck' at the vet if you think he feeling pretty good. At nine weeks pups do a lot of eating, pooping, playing, and especially a lot of sleeping.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

Auggie 12/29/95 ~ 01/15/09

Krak, you might like to read this thread too;

https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...c,50828.0.html
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

My goodness what a cute face!

Laura

amazongold is offline Senior Member

I just want to say you little guy is adorable and can't wait to see more picture of him!

Some dogs self-regulate themselves when it comes to food, and you can actually leave food down for them to eat as they wish. However, most Labs are not like that, so once your pup's tummy grows, it's likely his appetite will, too.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

He does seems to have trouble chewing the kibbles, they're pretty large and hard for him. Should I try mixing them with a little bit of water? I know he is that way with treats, can't eat hard treats but he never seems to get enough of the soft treats.

Soaking Beamer's kibble for about 15minutes before feeding sounds like a good idea if he is having trouble chewing it.

Another thought would be to feed him a good brand of puppy kibble; puppy kibble is usually smaller is size so that puppys can get their little jaws around it.

Well after a whole day of closely monitoring his eating habbits, he really seems to have an apetite problem throughout the day, after his first meal. I've tried making him it 3 more times throughout the day even after soaking his kibble and he just won't eat, he'll have a bite or two but he won't eat a 1/2 cup except for in the morning. He seems more interested in playing with me and biting my toes off than wanting to eat :.

He is on the skinny side as well, I can see his ribs, not too much but they do stick out enough to make them noticeable. I'm thinking he was probably like this before I got him. I'll wait and see what the vet says I suppose.