Crazy Question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crazy Question

nelson is offline Junior Member

DefaultCrazy Question

How much food should I give a pup that's 2 years old. I have no idea how much she weights. Oh, should I feed her once or twice a day.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Apollopuppy is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Crazy Question

It depends on several things:

1. The dogs current weight (if the dog needs to lose weight, gain weight, or maintain weight)
    2. The amount of calories in the food you feed (some are high cal, thus meaning you feed less, and some are low cal, meaning you would need to feed more cups to get the same calories in the other food)
    3. Activity level (how much of the food will your dog be burning off?)
    4. If your dog does better on one or two meals per day (I feed twice a day, but thats because Apollo would hand me if I only fed him once a day ;D )
    Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

You should feed her twice a day. What kind of food are you feeding her? When was the last time she was a vet?

An average lab should get 1-1/2 cups twice a day, but again it depends if she's overweight/underweight and the type of food she's getting. My guys were on Nutro large breed and got 1-1/2 cups twice a day. I've since switched them to Innova EVO red meat which is higher protein and carbs so now they're getting 1 cup twice a day.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the reply. I know her weight just needs to be maintained but the amount of calories in her food I have no idea. I will find out though. I have been giving her 2 cups and I'm not sure if that's 2 much or 2 less

If you can feel her ribs but not see them, then she's probably at a good weight. 2 cups once a day or twice? They really do better getting fed twice a day.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I agree with everything said above.

I go by body condition more than anything else. If the dog is underweight feed more. If he is overweight feed less. If he is at a good weight keep the feeding amount as it is.

The only thing I tend to do is tweak the amount I feed according to activity level and substitute for any snacks they might have had. Active days = more food, normal days = regular amount of food, lazier days = less food. 90% of the time we have 'normal' days.

You should always feed twice a day. Only being fed once in a 24 hour period is a Labs worst nightmare!

I'm feeding her Ol Roy dog food. 2 cups once a day. I think I will probable try 1 to 1-1/2 cups twice a day. Do you think that Ol Roy dog food is ok. I know its cheap but that's what I've been feeding my schnauzer for at least a year. They both seem to like it.
    I've heard that Diamond dog food was pretty good. What do you think
    [img]

By the way, how do you get your dogs picture at the bottom of your message?

Ol' Roy isn't a great food (and it was on the recall list!). Try to get a food with real meat as the first ingredient. Diamond is supposed to be good I think. Nutro is cheap and a good quality food too (I paid $20 for a 20 pound bag I think).

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Ol' Roy? I am sorry to say it but that is a terrible food -- probably the worst money can by. Feeding Ol' Roy is comparable to feeding sawdust with gravy on top -- nothing remotely nutritious in there. Please get him off that food ASAP. You really do not want your dogs eating that garbage.

Look into anything by Innova, Timberwolf Organics, Orijen, Merrick, Solid Gold, California Naturals, Nature's Variety, Canidae, Fromms and Eagle Pack.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast