losing hair around eyes?

Thread: losing hair around eyes?

robinsegg26 is offline Senior Member

Defaultlosing hair around eyes?

I noticed last night that Coal (8.5 yr old lab) is losing hair around his eyes. Only place its thinning.. anybody had this happen before with your dogs?? I dont know what it is and kinda worries me. Hes eating fine (of course a totally food hog), drinking and doesnt have a fever... hes acting the same as usual.. I dont know if hes been rubbing his face and thats whats going on. They are now staying in the house all day instead of going outside while i am at work... and they are loving it.. its just too hot here

Hes on Eagle pack dog food (fish Formula) and hes been on this for a least a year.. do to allergies we had to switch to this.. and he gets fish oil and carrots (to help fill him up :)added to his food at night...

any ideas what it could be?? was going to call the vet and see what they say... it doesnt seem to be bothering him

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: losing hair around eyes?

Is he shedding??? My chocs tend to do that sometimes when starting to shed.
    -Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

He was really blowing his coat a few weeks ago... but not so much now.. just the normal black hair everywhere ;D it hasnt gotten any worse over the past few days so just keeping an eye on it..

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

I have never had a Lab loose hair around the eyes when shedding.

I would talk with your vet and you may want to consider a skin scraping to rule things out like certain type of mange for example.

Hoping its nothing but if it were my dog I would want the vet to look at it.

I am taking him to the vet tomorrow . Hes got gunky eyes now and he just doesnt seem to be acting right. His belly is a little distended and hes lost a little weight. I am hoping thats because i cut back on his food intake by 1/2" cup a day and added the green beans and carrots.. but not sure. will see what they say... this is my buddy and hate seeing him not feeling well. I love all my dogs but this guy was the first one i ever got when i moved out on my own ... hes just different.

My sister went by there at lunch and checked on him for me and she says hes acting a lot better than he did yesterday. He was just panting a lot and laying around .. its so hot here and that could be bothering him too.. but hes inside all day except for quick potty breaks so i dont know..

MollyDoodlesDaddy is offline Junior Member

Not sure if it the case with dogs, but in humans thinning eyebrows is a sign of hypothyroidism.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

I would be concerned with a distended belly. Have you been to the vet yet?

What did they say?

Lethargy, hair loss and weight loss and hi cholesterol can all be signs of a thyroid issue.

Well we went to the vet yesterday

Coal has conjunctivitis in both eyes (he has his tear ducts flushed a few months ago and they are trying to clog back up again.) So hes got steroid eye drops for the next 14 days.

His chin has another staph infection. :-\

His CBC, urinalysis and his belly xray came back fine. She said one of his kidney levels was a little higher than normal but it could be because he had eaten that morning. And his other numbers were good.

But she agreed he wasnt acting right. Usually he interacts with the staff and wants treats and pets and he was just laying around. The X-Ray did show arthritis in his back. So that could be one thing. hes in pain and not feeling great with his eyes and his chin has another staph infection...

So hes on the eye drops, anitibiotics, and an antibiotic wash for his chin. We go back in two weeks and then we will probably start him on a med for his arthritis. I have noticed hes been slowing down the past few months and glad the vet did the belly xray and it showed us why.

He will be 9 in November and with all of the fosters we have been having come in hes been "policing" more than he normally does.. and he is just really sore. Gave him some aspirin last night.. but if that doesnt work we will move to a stronger arthritis med.. poor guy...