Dog has lesions on his belly and scratches a lot all over

Thread: Dog has lesions on his belly and scratches a lot all over

untold is offline Junior Member

DefaultDog has lesions on his belly and scratches a lot all over

Hello all,

i've done a lot of research but I'm dumbfounded on what my dog might have. We were feeding my dog Royal Kanin (sp) premium dog food but he still seems to itch itch itch! We also had been using Natures Receipe but again same problem. I'm moving him back to raw food diet and will be taking him to the vet tomorrow to see what they think but was wondering what ya'll might think he has. These type wounds are all up and down his hind legs (I'm assuming possibly from him biting/scratching the area but I dont think so. He also scratches his front chest with his hind leg a lot. He's also been sneezing from time to time. The dark spots appear to be scabs of sort. I feel *SO* bad, but I swear they came out of no where! At first I thought it was just dirt on his belly because it has rained here a lot but then I noticed it appears to be dried blood. The only other thing I could think was this was related to the weather and him being outside for a few hours at a time that he's possibly getting bit by bugs outside? I haven't seen him actually inflict these wounds himself so it's puzzling as to weather or not he's causing it or some other outside influence. Anything ya'll can give me info on would be appreciated!

--<br />Mike owner of:<br />Toby the Yellow Lab, Born 2/14/2007

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Dog has lesions on his belly and scratches a lot all over

He has a staph infection. You will need to take him to the vet to get some antibiotics. He's probably got a contact allergy - maybe to grass or something similar.

One of my girls used to get these staph infections. After working with a holistic vet for a while we seem to have conquered the problem. One of the things I found helpful was a weekly bath with Malaseb shampoo during the summer months.

untold is offline Junior Member

Turns out he had been biten by ants! Poor thing, doc gave us some stuff for the itching and to help it heal.
    --<br />Mike owner of:<br />Toby the Yellow Lab, Born 2/14/2007

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

That's from ANTS? How is the vet so sure, is there some kind of test they do?

Poor thing, it looks like it's itchy as hell. I hope he gets some relief soon.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

ANTS? ??? ??? SCHMANTZ!! : :

I agree with the others -- it's a pyoderma caused by a staph infection. Puff used to get that and it was probably caused by running through grass wet with dew and having the pollen stick to her tummy.

K-State's CollVetMed Tchng Hospl treated it with antibiotics to clear it up and then a Rx medicated shampoo with benzoyl peroxide in it was applied, let stand for 10 minutes, then flushed off and dry the area thoroughly.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

I don't know where she lives, but my first guess was ants as well. We have fire ants, and the bites can be nasty and you can get a lot of them real fast if you get in a nest of them. My horse, myself, my dogs, have all gotten into these ants, and they hurt like fire and are super itchy after. They do form a pustule, but once you scratch it open, you get these scabs, like in this photo.