Hot Spots

Thread: Hot Spots

TLMURRAY is offline Junior Member

DefaultHot Spots

I have a 6 1/2 yr old yellow lab and she gets hot spots just about every year in spring/early summer and in the fall. I have no idea why and no idea what to do to treat them or prevent them. When I have brought her to the vet they put her on Prednisone which does NOTHING except make her act weird and pee all over the house, and I refuse to give that to her again. I have started to come to the conclusion that it may be caused by an allergy to something in the grass and or pond during these seasons. Does anyone have any suggestions on, first of all how to treat what she has now, and how to possibly prevent them in the future. What should I put on what she has now that won't make her sick if she licks?
    Thanks,
    Tonya

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Hot Spots

My yellow lab, Ruger, used to get nasty hot spots in the spring and fall as well. I used to think it was due to him being wet a lot of the time (he swims in our pool a lot). However, after changing his diet to Innova Evo and Raw (he's been on this about eight months now) I can honestly say his hot spots are gone!

Also, when he used to get them, I found the best thing to get rid of them was to immediately start treating them with Hydrogen Peroxide (as soon as you notice the area, start treating it several times a day by "scrubbing" it with a cotton ball soaked in the peroxide. Allow the peroxide to bubble up on the infected area.

The peroxide cleared it up quicker than all the drugs the vet prescribed in the past

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Hot spots occur because the skin is not healthy. This could be because of diet, allergies, injuries, or stress or any combination thereof. When we adopted Murray he had been a stray and had a huge hot spot (from his ear to his shoulder) and both ears were infected. While he was in the county animal control system he most likely was not fed a good quality diet. I'm sure it was a stressful situation for him (now knowing his personality and that he has mild SA). In addition we found out that he has allergies. Once I got him into a routine, got him on a good diet with supplements, and started treating his allergies, we never had another hot spot.

Here is an article with some good info:

http://www.labradorwell.com/Hotspots.html
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

I have never had hot spots but have heard a lot of people swear by gold bond powder to dry them up.

Clean the area pat dry and apply the GB.

I heard many years ago that peroxide is not good for the uninfected flesh (this was referring to humans) and that it should be slightly diluted with water before using. Not sure if this is still tru.

What food are you feeding? A change in diet may help to prevent future HS.

I had a dog allergic to corn but she also had a flare up (scratching but no HS) after sneeking into a stagnant pond.

Barnsley is offline Senior Member

I read that the purple ear stuff can help hot spots. When Barnsley had them I tried the gold bond with mixed results and I found that tea tree oil helped and Barnsley didn't want to lick it. I also did the hydrogen peroxide cleaning.
    <br />Barnsley &amp; Lilly from Okinawa, Japan

PresBear is offline Junior Member

This summer is my first time dealing with the nasty buggers. My 5 y.o. yellow guy has gotten three different hot spots within the last three months.

I'm thinking he has gotten them because this summer we have had the dogs swimming in our earthen pond most every day. Probably the hot weather combined with being wet a lot (even though we do our best to towel dry them each time they emerge from "swampin" as we like to call it!)

Anyway, since I've seen my vet twice for this issue I'll give you the protocol he gave me for dealing with the issue.

1. Immediately after finding a hot spot, shave the hair so air can get to the area. I use my Whal clipper for this task or you can have the vet do it for you.

2. Use Betadine rinse to cleanse the area. The betadine should be diluted to a "weak tea" color.

3. Put 70% alcohol on a cotton ball/pad and pat the area. I was told to do this only 1 time - not daily.

4. On subsequent days, clean the area with hydrogen peroxide (only if crusting).

5. Use Animax ointment (get this from vet) 1-2x's/day.

6. The vet gave me a supply of 20 pills of 20mg Prednisone with instructions to use 1 pill 1 time if the flare up is quite bad. He said this can be helpfull in calming the area without long term use of the Pred.

Hope this helps you.

I have also used Gold Bond powder and that helped a bit (or at least it did not hurt)!

Good luck and know that I feel your pain!

KenzieRulz is offline Member

Lots of good advice you've been given. I just wanted to add that my Australian Shepherd started getting hot spots really bad last summer for the first time in her life... she was so miserable. I had recently switched her to a senior food which was lower in fat because she needed to lose weight. I believe she got the hot spots because she wasn't getting enough fat in her diet. I switched her to a higher fat, quality food and added Missing Link Plus supplement to her food and the hot spots disappeared and she hasn't had any since-- even though this has been an unusually hot summer.

Good luck,
    --Kathy

rileypup is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Barnsley
    I read that the purple ear stuff can help hot spots. When Barnsley had them I tried the gold bond with mixed results and I found that tea tree oil helped and Barnsley didn't want to lick it. I also did the hydrogen peroxide cleaning.
    Hi there....I couldn't believe it when I was your lab........looks just like a photo of my dog(Riley)
    I have a pic with his blue collar that looks just like yours....I'll dounload the pic and send it to you...where did you get your dog?
    Holly Smith

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

The Gold Bond did not help Ruger, although it did a good job of "covering up" the nasty sore

The Purple Ear stuff did help. But not as well as the Hydrogen Peroxide.

I also got Tea Tree Oil in a creme rinse. I use this on the dogs periodically when they come out of the pool. It seems to help aid in prevention.