Just want some suggestions.. Re:food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just want some suggestions.. Re:food

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

DefaultJust want some suggestions.. Re:food

Okay, I know there have been lots of posts and different opinions about food but with us adding a second dog to the mix in the next few months I am thinking about doing a food switch.

Rowan I believe has done well on the Nutro Ultra LBP - now NU _ Adult but I do notice lots of dandruff in her coat - more so especially when I zoom and groom her. I have been adding one Allerderm Efa-Caps HP to her food once a day but don't notice that much of a significant chance. She doesn't itch and her ears are clean.

I guess my question is ~ has anyone had this problem and if so what did you do? I'm nervous about a food change as she has a lot of difficulty in that area.
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

gerst001 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Just want some suggestions.. Re:food

dandruff usually comes from food with not enough fat in it. If you change make sure the new food has a decent amount of fat on top of we he gets now.

When i switched to a food with more fat, all drandruff was gone within 2 weeks of the full switch. I currently use Orijen Adult.

Good Luck. When you make the switch - just go very very slowly as you seem to have had trouble in the past. Take at least 14 days to do the switch...start with 10% and go up by 5 % each day- or something like that.

The vet is wanting weight off her hence I am switching from a puppy to adult formula - so I am torn on what to do! :-[

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

I'd agree about the food. Rider had dandruff on Diamond Lamb and Rice and on Royal Canin Labrador 30....switched to EVO and no dandruff.

Why does the vet want weight off of her? If you go to a higher fat food, you obviously have to cut back on the amount you feed. It always makes me scratch my head when people stay on puppy food for over a year. But that is me I guess.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

you could add oil to the food.

To cut some weight off, its simple - feed less. It is that simple. it has zero to do with adult vs. LB food. It about calories, just start with about 10% less per meal

dandruff is usally a result of not enough fat in the food, but could come out more in stressful times as well.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Try adding some oily fish (I use tinned sardines in oil -- cheap and easy, just throw it in the bowl) and raw eggs once or twice a week to her diet and see if that makes the difference.

Because our winter was so cold and long Rowan weighed in at 77 pounds at her vet visit in April for her spay and the vet said he wanted some weight off her.

I don't want to go with a higher fat food though. That isn't an option as far as I am concerned. Rowan is only 11 months old. She will be completely off puppy food by the time she is a year.

She is only getting 2.5 cups twice a day now.

How often should I feed the sardines Trickster? Do I need to reduce her food any when I give them to her??

Has anyone hear of a product called Johnny B Goode??

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

If you want a high quality food that's cheaper, you might try the Diamond Naturals C&R. (Their cheaper "Diamond" now has more grains and fillers than their "Diamond Naturals"; I prefer their C&R to their L&R because it has less rice in it.) http://www.diamondpetfood.com has a link to "Find a dealer".

Also, if you have a Costco (warehouse membership club) within driving distance, their house brand Kirkland C&R and L&R is made by the same company that makes the Diamond Naturals and have much the same ingredients as the "DN". It is a little cheaper than the "DN" although the yearly membership fee will often surpass the savings on the dog food alone. (However, I like so many other things from my Costco 70 miles away that I find it more than worth it.)

Kirkland Chicken & Rice (1st 12 ingredients)

Chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, cracked pearl barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols & Vitamin E), egg product, beet pulp, potatoes, fish meal, flaxseed, natural flavor, brewers dried yeast.....

Analysis (partial)

Crude Protein______26.0% min
    Crude Fat_________16.0% min
    Crude Fiber_________4.0% max
    Moisture___________10.0% max

Calorie Content

3,754 kcals/kg (362 kcals/cup)

AAFCO statement
    Feeding tests using Kirkland substantiates it provides complete and balanced nutrition for all life stages
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

What is your understanding of fat? It's not all the same as us eating fat in your food.

Also, as an FYI, a dog's metabolism will slow in the summer and they will need less calories in the summer than the winter, even when exercise in the winter slows down, they still burn many more calories in the cold weather.

Good luck with your choice.

ALthough I am not sure about the 'fat' I don't want to defeat the purpose.... kwim? Trying to get weight off her and yet having her consume it.
    Thanks for the ideas/suggestions.

I have contacted Rowan's breeder for help. She knows her dogs best.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast