Why oh why did I do it!!

Thread: Why oh why did I do it!!

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhy oh why did I do it!!

I have had Sammi on diamond natural chicken and rice for 7 months now and she was doing great! After swimming she would sometimes get alittle dandruff, but all and all her coat was great, no itching, no ear problems. So a week and half ago when I went to buy new food, the store clerk was telling me how well her labs do on the lamb and rice, and she felt that labs actually do better on the lamb then the chicken! so I go and buy the lamb and rice, YIKES!! 1 week into it and Sammi has the worst dandruff ever! No itching and her ears look o.k but oh my the dandruff! Have of you had this happen? Do you think its the food? Should I give it more time or switch her back right away? TIA for replys-

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Why oh why did I do it!!

Umm, not really sure what to say other than Rowan had really bad dandruff and I was chalking it up to the winter and the furnace etc.

I have had her on Allerderm Efa-Caps Hp since April. (bought from the vet) I do notice a big difference in her but notice some dryness as well. I have her on the Nutro Ultra brand and am debating on switching her as she had REALLY bad diarrhea when we brought her home from the breeders at 7 weeks when we made the switch.
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I'd go back. After all, if it ain't broke...... ;D
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Actually the first choice should always be chicken over lamb. Most dogs digest chicken better than they do lamb. I agree with the don't try to fix if its not broken. Go back to the other immediately.

Laura

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labby
    Actually the first choice should always be chicken over lamb. Most dogs digest chicken better than they do lamb. I agree with the don't try to fix if its not broken. Go back to the other immediately.
    Thank you- I actually took the bag back opened and all, the same clerk was there and remembered me. They were very nice about taking back the food and I have gone back to the original. Thanks for replying, and I always try to remember the "if its not broke don't fix it" motto, guess for a split sec. I forgot :- It defiantly wont happen again, at least as far as Sammi goes - Thanks again!

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Some dander seems to always freak folks out...IMO it is just normal from time to time. Excessive dander that does not go away would worry me more. My dogs get it in the winter and sometimes when they are blowing coat or just before.
    It is my opinion that Lamb foods not be used for an every day diet for a dog who has no issues. Save the lamb for when you are trying to determine food issues..and even better yet TEST for them straight up and stay off the roller-coaster.
    Kim

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I feed Kirkland (available only at Costco wholesale membership clubs) which is very similar to "Diamond Naturals" (both made by the same company).

I fed L&R for awhile but then noticed how many of the first 5-6 ingredients were rice or rice derived products. (I'm sure it's the same for "DN".)

So I switched a few years ago to C&R and I think Puff likes it better. I've never noticed any dandruff.

It may be that that much rice is not something that agrees with Sammi's system.

I suggest sticking with the C&R.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I usually see dandruff when they are blowing their coat. Right now Hudler and Maddy have been blowing theirs for like 2 weeks+. I hose them off, brush them, the next day I brush out another dog's worth of hair.