How much running at one time?

Thread: How much running at one time?

edoubleu is offline Junior Member

DefaultHow much running at one time?

Hi,
    I haven't posted in some time, but enjoy reading the forums. This past weekend I went away and decided to take Maggie, 22 month old black female, with me. This was her first extended trip away with me. The people that went all had ATV's and I decided to let her come with us. I have never seen this dog run so fast and so long as she did during our first ride. She ran up every hill, crossed brooks, even the straight-aways she kept up with us. Many times she passed us on the hills and waited for us at the top. We were all pretty impressed with her. She certainly deserved the swim afterwards and nap in the shade.
    The stamina and duration she had was amazing. Now, she's my first Lab, so maybe this is nothing new to you.
    Can there be too much running at one time? We had a couple stops in between, but overall we were out for about 30-40 minute rides with her.
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: How much running at one time?

It sounds absolutely fine if you ask me.

Perfect! I don't want to over run her. She certainly didn't seem to mind. I definitely have a new respect for their endurance that's for sure.

Thanks

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Labs have fantastic levels of endurance when they are conditioned and in good shape. The key, as you know, is not to over do it -- moderation!

kaytris is offline Senior Member

dogs, being pack animals, will follow their family no matter what - monitor her carefully when exercising over long periods of time -especially in the summer. Keep her hydrated, take breaks and check her paws for wear and tear. If its really hot, splash water on her belly and legs and make sure she drinks - don't let her chug water though.

thanks for the tips.

Quote Originally Posted by kaytris
    take breaks and check her paws for wear and tear.
    What do I look for with her pads? How would I treat pads in need of repair?

Thanks

Brockersmom is offline Junior Member

I know it's hard to judge when a young dog has had enough and should be resting, particularly if he looks like he's still having fun. It sounds like your lab is in top condition and exercised regularly. One of our labs, who's now over the bridge, used to run like that whenever he'd get the chance, like when we'd take him to the beach, once every couple of weeks, or sometimes more often.. The rest of the week, he was exercised, but not as hard or as long. The trouble was that he developed severe arthritis later in life and could hardly walk. We have since learned from our vet that keeping a lab's exercise level consistant, is much better for the dog than letting him be a weekend warrior. Young dogs won't always stop when they are tired. I know that our guy didn't know when to stop and he would run for miles and miles and then want to run some more. He was the only dog we've had that was excited on the ride home, too!
    Don't ever trust anybody who doesn't like dogs.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by edoubleu
    thanks for the tips.

Quote Originally Posted by kaytris
    take breaks and check her paws for wear and tear.
    What do I look for with her pads? How would I treat pads in need of repair?

Thanks
    cracks, abrasions, cuts, etc. Anything like that, head home and take it easy for a few days - keep cuts clean as much as you can.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

My gang (8 mos up thru 12 yrs) do 3 mile, ~45 min walks regularly w/ me. They are offlead as it's a safe area, so they get in more like 5 miles some days. The key is in the conditioning and if your pup is in good shape which it sounds like she is, she'll be fine and both of you will be happy campers! -Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

GunnyandRuger is offline Junior Member

My boys run with us when we go on the ATVs and will do a few miles, at least. They know the trails and always run up ahead, often to get some extra sniffing time! They love the creek "checkpoints" and will lay down in them to cool off -- and jump up and run again when they are ready to go. They are pretty smart about letting us know when they need to slow down; they walk directly in front of the ATVs so we can't get past them! Gunny can't resist the run, even when he's tired. He won't run as fast, but he wants to be with us so we take it slow. Ruger will just flat-out refuse to go.