bowel obstruction- how do we get him to stop eating stuff?

Thread: bowel obstruction- how do we get him to stop eating stuff?

Defaultbowel obstruction- how do we get him to stop eating stuff?

Tonight Bo is at the emergency vet with what is probably a bowel obstruction. They're keeping him overnight and tomorrow we'll see if he needs surgery (probably). I think this is from him eating sticks- at least that's what he was throwing up. I don't give him soft toys or rawhide chews- or even leave him alone with a tennis ball.

Anyone have any ideas of stopping this behavior (eating sticks, leaves, grass) in the future??

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: bowel obstruction- how do we get him to stop eating stuff?

Teach the "leave it" command.

and supervise, supervise, supervise.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

This is copied and pasted from the "Our Best Advice" Thread in the Training Tips section.

Leave it!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Teach the command "leave it". It's essential. You do need to be careful about rocks and other items like that ~ not only could they cause damage to the intestinal track, but it could also cause an obstruction.

There are a couple of different ways to teach "leave it". Our trainer uses her shoe over the item to block the dog from getting it. In other words, put a treat on the floor and when the dog goes for it, cover it with your shoe and say "leave it". I trained Sami using a leash and I would drop an item (toy, food, etc) and when she went for it I would hold her back and say "leave it". And then I would reward her with a treat and say "good leave it". She picked this up pretty fast.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

My pup was very bad - still gets into stuff at 15 months, but does know the leave it command. Problem now is with the baby toys when we are not watching him. We use an electronic collar and have been trained by a professional to do so and it solved a lot of those issues. sitmeanssit.com is the company is interested.
    Either way it will take time and supervision...they are just pups!!!

we're thinking about the e-collar. The breeder we got him from uses one for field training and all his dogs are sweet and very obedient.
    It turned out that it wasn't an obstruction after all, but colitis. Go figure.

Beautiful dog you have there!!!!! So happy it wasnt an obstruction.
    The best way to prevent ingestion of unwanted objects is to supervise.... especially labs.....they just want something in their mouths ALL the time. Leave it command will work well as long as you are supervising them. but if your dog is allowed to roam outside in the yard and pick up something and you are not there to say leave it.... well there you go. So I say supervise.