Maui won't eat unless I mix his food with Peanut Butter

Thread: Maui won't eat unless I mix his food with Peanut Butter

DefaultMaui won't eat unless I mix his food with Peanut Butter

This problem started about six weeks ago. My wife and I were living in an apartment that we had been living in for a year with Maui. When he was younger, he would gulp down the whole bowl in about ten seconds. Six weeks ago it started that we would put food in his bowl and he wouldn't touch it. After a day or two, we mixed it with a little PB and he ate it right down. Four weeks ago, we moved into a new house, and it got even worse, he literally wont eat his food period now unless we mix it with peanut butter or some puppy-pepperonis.

ONe thing I noticed is that when we are outside he likes to "eat" sticks. I think he is literally and actually eating them ! Could this be why he won't eat his regular food?

We even tried switching from Purina Pro Plan to Canidae and it helped for a week and then it was the same thing again. If I Give him the food by hand he usually does eat it.

Also, any food we hand-feed him (carrot, piece of cheese, whatever) he always takes it to a specific spot in the house and plays with it for like 10 minutes before eating it. He'll throw it around and then finally nibble it and eat it.

IS this a problem? What's going on?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Maui won't eat unless I mix his food with Peanut Butter

Congratulations, you have made him a picky eater.

He's in charge of his food instead of you.

You're going to have to get tough and make the effort to re-train him and YOU.

Whatever it is you're going to feed him, put it in his dish and leave it for 10 minutes. He doesn't eat? Tough. No extras, no treats, no veggies, too bad so sad Maui. Pick the food up after 10 minutes and do not give him a thing until his next scheduled feeding time.

Then he gets what's in the dish. Do not add more food, do not add anything to the food, he gets the food. 10 minutes goes by, then you pick up the dish again. No treats, no veggies, nothing until the next scheduled feeding time.

If you are tough and consistent he will learn to eat his food or he'll go hungry. Once he starts to eat, either he eats it all (make sure you aren't feeding him too much) or he gets the rest at the next scheduled feeding time. What I mean is, if he leaves 2 kernels of food, then that's what he gets the next time. We do not add food until the bowl is empty and then only at the next scheduled feeding time.

I've never had a dog starve themselves. Usually the owners back down before the dog does and then you're really in trouble since the dogs know when they win and are not gracious about it.

Laura

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I agree with Labby.

But how much food are you feeding (cups/day), what is its kcals/cup (call the mfr's 800 # if it isn't printed on the bag, and how much does Maui weigh?

It could be that Maui is trying to reduce the daily amount of food he eats and you're overfeeding.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

And IF you have to add something, a spoonful of a good canned food is much more healthier than peanut butter.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Pr.
    I agree with Labby.

But how much food are you feeding (cups/day), what is its kcals/cup (call the mfr's 800 # if it isn't printed on the bag, and how much does Maui weigh?

It could be that Maui is trying to reduce the daily amount of food he eats and you're overfeeding.
    I agree, your siggy says he's about 13 months, is that right?

When their growing starts to slow down and stop and they reach their adult size/weight, they need much less food then when they were growing puppies.

I also recommend Labby's method.

Peanut Butter is VERY high in fat and should be given sparingly, if at all.

Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Are you feeding your kibble dry? Try adding a bit of water and swish it around for about 10 seconds to make gravy before feeding.

Also, when giving a new food for the first time like a carrot or the like your dog isn't sure what to do with it. It is normal for them to play with it a bit before eating it.

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Pr.
    I agree with Labby.

I agree, your siggy says he's about 13 months, is that right?

When their growing starts to slow down and stop and they reach their adult size/weight, they need much less food then when they were growing puppies.

I also recommend Labby's method.

Peanut Butter is VERY high in fat and should be given sparingly, if at all.

Rowan is almost 12 months old and I am gradually switching her to her adult food. Yes, Peanut Butter is very high in fat and shouldn't be used that often.
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

I agree with Laura. The only thing I use peanut butter for is to give Oona her supplements and medicine. Try what Laura suggested if that doesn't work you can add a clove of crushed garlic to the mix.
    Olie