Cottage Cheese..??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cottage Cheese..??

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultCottage Cheese..??

Is it OK to give cottage cheese to puppies/dogs? (in moderation, of course)

I stuff and freeze kongs for Peanut and Baloo, they get one every day. Normally that get baby food with a cookie in the end (green beans, carrots or peas)

As a special treat, they get organic yogurt (in the actual kong) and organic peanut butter (around the edges of the holes) and that's approximately 1 - 2 times per week.

They like the baby food kongs, but they LLOOOVVEEE the yogurt ones, so I thought that I could maybe give them fat-free cottage cheese one day of the week, yogurt one day, and baby food the rest of the time...

Any thoughts/experiences on this?

Thanks in Advance!

oh, p.s - just curious, does all of the good bacteria in yogurt die when it is frozen? I'll still give it to them even if it does, but I've always wondered....
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_bacatherine is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Cottage Cheese..??

Mocha's breeder told me to give her cottage cheese if she had the runs that it helps replace the good bacteria. I've given her a few Tbsp and she likes it. I've heard that the good bacteria dies when you freeze it.
    <br />Barbara, Mocha, Zeus, &amp; Smeagol

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Cottage cheese can bind your dog.

I only give it for the runs or a lactating bitch with cow flops to help firm up and even then you have to be careful that it doesn't reverse the whole process and cause constipation. (a couple of tbsp per day can firm up - it doesn't take much to bind up)

I've heard a lot of talk that dogs don't need dairy and I tend to agree.

Peanut butter is a nice treat but very hi in fat and not the best for our dogs.

I do give yogart in a.m. feeding a couple times a week - good probiotics, etc. Plain, fat free (they get enough fat in their kibble).

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Snowco Labradors
    Cottage cheese can bind your dog.
    That's what I was looking for... no cottage cheese it is!!

They get a very very small amount of peanut butter on the yogurt kong (1 X per week) and it is organic peanut butter, meaning that the only ingredient is... peanuts!! (It tastes awful.....totally wouldn't recommend it for human consumption!! ;D ;D) But the puppies don't seem to notice a difference.

Thank you for the info, I would rather be safe than sorry.
    Kate
    We're Superdogs!

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Baloo and others.... Cottage cheese and yogurt both contain high Calcium levels, which will throw off your pup's Ca/P balance in their diet and may contribute to fast bone growth and consequently, joint issues. This is why Large Breed Puppy food was developed and I can attest for my lines, it works. I've tried "all stage" foods (Canidae, which I love for my adults) and adult formulations (Kirkland chicken and rice), but found I got uneven and faster bone growth than desirable even w/ them (1.2%Ca and 1.0% Ca, respectively). Though *I* don't particularly care for Eukanuba LBP ingredients, I went back to it last fall w/ my litter and voila, no knuckling, good slow and even growth, etc.... and my pups do fine on it. I only give yogurt if stools get loose, and then I've gone to a very good digestive enzyme which does a better job than yogurt.... So please, hold off on the stuffed kongs etc and keep to a balanced diet. The sodium (and aflatoxins) in the PB, imo, aren't healthy for a puppy either. I do not give any treats outside of kibble, even in training, until after 5 mos in most cases. -Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Anne:

What about the baby food, is that OK?

I pretty much only give it because Baloo is starting to lose teeth, so I thought the frozen treat might make him feel better...

I know others have wet towels and then frozen them and given them to teething puppies, but I don't want to teach him that it's OK to chew on my towels! :P

Any suggestions would be great!
    Kate
    We're Superdogs!

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

I don't start my pups on yogart until close to one year old. All they get up until then is Vit. C and probiotics if necesarry but not in dairy form.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    Anne:

What about the baby food, is that OK?

I pretty much only give it because Baloo is starting to lose teeth, so I thought the frozen treat might make him feel better...

I know others have wet towels and then frozen them and given them to teething puppies, but I don't want to teach him that it's OK to chew on my towels! :P

Any suggestions would be great!

You'd have to read the label, but I personally have found no need for any of that. And lord knows, I've raised a few puppies recently, lol! I just give them plenty of toys and nylabones/gumabones to chew on. -Anne

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Cottage cheese seems to give my dogs the runs.

I wonder if I am the only one that never did anything special for my dogs while they were teething. No treats or frozen wash cloths. They never seemed to need them.

Quote Originally Posted by CYNLABS
    Cottage cheese seems to give my dogs the runs.

I wonder if I am the only one that never did anything special for my dogs while they were teething. No treats or frozen wash cloths. They never seemed to need them.

Nope, nothing special here either. They get what is in the house-- nylas, kongs, etc., and they've done fine. And my possessions have remained relatively unscathed. -Anne

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast