Spay Induced Incontinence

Thread: Spay Induced Incontinence

LKG

DefaultSpay Induced Incontinence

Sorry if this was posted already, my computer crashed mid-post....

Hi all:

Last week I woke up to Daisy licking herself in the middle of the night. I sat up and realized that she was laying in a pool of pee and was licking to try to clean herself up. I was surprised as she is housetrained and always wakes me up if she has to go in the middle of the night. I cleaned everything up and brushed it off as an accident.

Anyways, this week it happened again! I was concerned so I took her to the vet thinking maybe she had a UTI. The test was clean and the vet believes she has spay induced incontinence. This means Daisy's estrogen levels are low and she suggested I try feeding her a few teaspoons of tofu a day as a natural source of estrogen. I have been feeding the tofu for 3 days and she has peed every night!!! I know there are other estrogen supplements & daily medications, but I would rather find a natural source with fewer side effects if possible.

Does anybody have any experience with this problem and if so, what did you do to fix it?? I have changed her food relatively recently (she was having runny poops on Solid Gold Wolf King so I switched to Innova... regular, not Evo). The vet it was a small possibility it was the food change, but very unlikely. Please help!! Cleaning up in the middle of the night is getting old and I feel sooooooo bad for Daisy as I know it's not her fault!!

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Spay Induced Incontinence

How old was your girl when she was spayed? Had she had her first heat?

I have never dealt with spay induced incont. only with a senior who had it sporadically and I never medicated her because back then the drugs were for life.

There is a drug called (I think) Proin for incontinence you can ask your vet about.

I would do some searching though for natural supplements for this. Try calling a health food store. Just be careful if they recommend herbs - you should clear that with a holistic vet first.

Prayers you can get this under control. I know how you feel for your baby - she feels guilty and its only an accident.

LKG

Oooops I forgot to add that... she was spayed at 6months.

Thanks for the suggestions. I am still hopefuly that the tofu will work, but I will likely try a health food storte too.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

My 2 year old lab has spay induced incontinence as well. She was spayed at 6 months also. She has been on PPA for 6 months now (pill twice a day) and she has no problems...no more leaking and no side effects.

LKG

Thanks for the reply... I've now been feeding the tofu regularly and it seems to have almost cured the problem. I did try to cut back to every second day but then she had an accident this past weekend :-\.... Since I can't seem to find anything saying tofu has any realy negative effects, I'll continue with this for the short term at least!

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Thats really interesting. It must be because Tofu is soy. A holistic vet could tell you if its okay for long term. And you probably could get some type of soy in a supplement form as well.

The only thing I have heard and follow - is to stay away from soy in dog foods but I think that is partly because it is in there as a filler.