Wellness Core
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wellness Core

imported_kiddsmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultWellness Core

I picked up a bag yesterday. The ingredients don't look half bad. It's their grain-free diet. I got a bag of their light version because Derby needs a diet high in fiber because of his colitis.

Crude Protein - 33% (Regular version has 34%)
    Crude fat - Not less than 9%, not more than 10%. (Regular 14%)
    Crude Fiber - 8.5% (Regular 4%)
    Moisture - 10%
    Calcium - 1.9%
    Phosphorus - 1.3%
    Vitamin E - 500 IU/kg
    Omega 6 - 2.2%
    Omega 3 - 0.5%
    Glucosamie HCL - 250 mg/kg
    Chondroitin sulfate - 200 mg/kg
    Beta Carotene - 5 mg/kg
    Total microorganisms - 80,000,000 CFU/lb

Deboned turkey, turkey meal, Potatoes, Dried Ground Potatoes, Pea Fiber, Whitefish meal, Tomator pomace, natural chicken flavor, chicken liver, salmon oil, flaxseed, carrots, sweet potatoes, kale, broccoli, spinach, parsley, apples, blueberries, etc, etc.

330 calories and the bag ziplocks!
    <br />Oregon

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

blacklabelias is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Wellness Core

How much did it cost?

I paid $28.99 for a 12-pound bag. The regular version was $27.99. If I remember correctly, the bigger bags were $52 for the light and $46 (?) for the regular.
    <br />Oregon

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

blacklabelias is offline Senior Member

Isn't it funny that you pay more for reduced calorie?

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by blacklabelias
    Isn't it funny that you pay more for reduced calorie?
    You're paying for the high protein content in most cases with grain free foods.

Take a look at Orijen's prices and I've heard great things from feeders of this.

www.championfoods.com

I feed Nature's Variety Instinct (grain free) 42% protein, 22% fat and I just tonight figured the cost per day. 25.3 lb bag for around $49

I have a pup boarding with me that is eating 3 1/2 cups per day and the cost comes to $2.00 per day.

I figured out the cost on my old food with grains (and its less expensive) but I fed more and it basically works out the same per day in $ with feeding the grain free because you feed less as it is higher kcal/cup than food with grains.

Sadies Paw is offline Member

Pizza?... ;D

www.championpetfoods.com

I just started feeding Sadie their Acana's Salmon and potato. I have heard only good things about their Orijen foods (the high protein stuff). Champion Pet Foods is less than an hour from my house. It's cool to know that it is locally based. Their food lines are really popular around here from what I have seen.
    If I were to go grain free (which we just might do in the future), I would be leaning toawrds Nature's Variety Instinct though. I find that most of the high protein/grain free foods tend to have many mutiple protein sources (chicken,turkey,salmon,etc) all in the same bag. Combinations like that such as EVO are too rich for Sadie's stomach. The last I checked, Nature's Variety Instinct had nothing but chicken meal as the main protein source. Nice and simple.
    The Wellness light looks pretty good. A ziplocking bag? Right on!! I think there are quite a few people on here that use the Wellness brand.

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

I was looking at this (Core) in the store the other day...Let me know how you like it. Thanks
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

Quote Originally Posted by Labs4me
    I was looking at this (Core) in the store the other day...Let me know how you like it. Thanks
    So far, so good. A few years back I had tried their Sweet Potato and Fish Diet and he did not do well on it, ploppy poops that never firmed up. On the Core, he has nice poops, no gas.

http://www.omhpet.com/wellness/dog_w..._original.html
    <br />Oregon

rayofsun is offline Senior Member

Yes, let us know how it works out. Raven is on Nature's Variety Raw Instict right now. I have tried the CORE for our cats (they are picky and didn't like it) but didn't know they had a dog formula. I'm also interested in hearing if using the reduced fat formula causes dry skin, since we have skin issues and have heard reduced fat "regular" foods cause the skin to be dry. Raven could use a reduced fat diet not only for the fat content, but also for the fiber since she has anal gland problems.

Derby has always been on a diet that has had a fat content no more than 11%. The only time he has dandruff is when he is blowing his coat, but other than that, has a great coat. He also has never been on a diet heavy with grain. He was on California Natural for years and then I went grain free about 3 years ago with Natural Balance Potato and Duck. Lately the NB has not been agreeing with him, so I switched. The only reason why he is on Core's reduced fat formula is because we were thinking he had colitis, an episode which had gone on for over a month. I tried adding pumpkin to the NB food and it worked for a few weeks, but then started with mucousy stools. I then switched to reduced fat Core because of the fiber content, but did buy a bag of regular Core yesterday and now am switching him over to that. We are now thinking that the NB was the problem and he may not need a high-fiber diet after all. On Core's reduced fat diet, he had no problems with dandruff or skin issues. The 26-pound bag costs $45.99. The reduced fat formula is more, as stated above.

This is Core's reduced fat food.
    http://www.omhpet.com/wellness/dog_w...n_reduced.html
    <br />Oregon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast