PEDIGREE -JOINT CARE
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PEDIGREE -JOINT CARE

saskasmum is offline Senior Member

DefaultPEDIGREE -JOINT CARE

Pedigree have a new dog chew on the market which is supposed to help maintain healthy joints, it contains Glucosamine and Chondroitin you are supposed to give it to them one a day, I have been thinking of giving Saska them, what do you guys think, any help in me deciding whether to give her to them or not would help. She is 22 months old. ???

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: PEDIGREE -JOINT CARE

The amount of glucosamine/chondroitin they put in these foods is nowhere enough to actually have any affect on the dog. What are you currently feeding? I personally feed a regular adult food and suppliment with Cosquin for joint health.

Probably not - I can't imagine they're using a high quality supplement. Glucosamine and chondroitin isn't cheap, so if the food or treat with glucosamine and chondroitin in it is cheap, it probably does not contain the "good stuff," or at least as much as it should.

Consumer Reports rated Costco's Kirkland Glucosamine and Chondroitin as its best buy and Consumer Labs named Cosequin (or the human form, Cosamin) as theirs. If possible, I think I'd stick with those...or at least some other reputable brand.

There are tons of different pet formulas, although it's no different than the stuff you or I can take. Although it happens in the human supplements as well, I think it's more common with pet supplements that they do not put the full amount as promised in there (if any at all).

In terms of price, I don't know that you can beat the Costco's Kirkland formula (it's "made" for humans but can be given to your dog).

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I agree with what has already been said. More to the point, they are made by Pedigree -- not great. I have seen the advert and although it 'looks' good, adverts are deceptive. Pedigree are champions at marketing.

I personally do not have my dogs on any joint supplements as a preventative measure. If you want to use joint supplements for Saska, do it by all means but use regular glucosamine and chondroitin. Green lipped mussel extract is another albeit expensive alternative:

http://www.1stvitality.co.uk/az/gree...ats_horses.htm

blacklabelias is offline Senior Member

Unless they have totally re formulated their food, pedigree is not a quality food.

Dani is offline Senior Member

I agree with the others. I give Cosequin DS chewables to my boys. Rookie was just started, and Rider's been on it for about 2 years.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

There is never enough G/C in a dog kibble no matter how good the quality of the food.

I supplement with human grade g/c but only when needed.

There are no studies as of yet, that I have heard of, that giving this supplement as a preventative helps.

Study your dogs genetic background thru www.akc.org and www.offa.org to determine if there may be a HD or ED factor and perhaps, if there is, supplementing with G/C may help. Who knows. It can't hurt to try it. Its all natural.

saskasmum is offline Senior Member

Thanks for all of the advice I think I will give it a miss, and just let nature take it course, I do not really want to start pumping her with stuff she does not need, I did not realise how many people do not like pedigree, I really thought it was good, shows how wrong you can be. Can anybody tell me what is wrong with it, I would be grateful to know. There are so many foods on the market it is a minefield, you do not know what to do for the best. What is the best thing to give her to help her teeth stay healthly.

There are no studies as of yet, that I have heard of, that giving this supplement as a preventative helps.
    There are studies that show it does have chondroprotective properties. The problem with glucosamine and chondroitin is that the studies are all over the place, and in human studies people report everything from moderate improvement to no improvement at all.

For me, I have a dysplastic dog so I figure why not. I can see, however, where if you had a dog with good hips where the potential benefits may not outweigh the costs.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Lynnafcb,

If you can post the link for the specific formula you mention listing the ingredients I will give you my opinion. I didn't find Joint Care formula on their site.

Beef marrow bones are great for keeping teeth healthy and clean.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast