is a 4th round of vaccinations really needed?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is a 4th round of vaccinations really needed?

Defaultis a 4th round of vaccinations really needed?

my pup Storm is 17 weeks old and has had 3 sets of vaccinations plus his rabies shot. according to my vet, he is due to go back July 1st for a 4th set of vaccinations. ( when i say a set/round i am referring to the 5 in 1 vaccination, he had that shot 3 times so far).
    is a 4th shot absolutely neccessary? last time i was at the vet, she mentioned something about starting heartworm preventio on the next visit as well. is that neccessary too?
    i'm asking because some unexpected event occured that has put financial strains on me at this time and i can't really afford a $100 vet visit unless it's really needed. i don't want to endanger my pup in any way and i will take him in for the shot and heartworm prevention if he needs it. but if it's just another way for the vet to make money i will skip it or atleast put it off for a while.
    i'm sort of comparing it to like going to the dentist every six months as dentists suggest. i don't know to many people who go to the dentist every six months who don't have full medical insurance or who have a need for immediate dental care like having a root canal or tooth pain.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: is a 4th round of vaccinations really needed?

The Heartworm preventative is a must if he gets HW's it's expensive and very hard on the pup to treat. I don't know about the shots every vet does it a little different as far as the boosters go and at what ages they give what. I would call the vet and ask if you can maybe postpone it a few weeks if that would help. You may need to keep them away from public areas until you get the last set depending on what he's already had.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

My vet boosts parvo after all the "rounds" are done......

how many vaccines are necessary depends on many things; your vet, your dog, where you live, your lifestyle, any pertaining laws, etc.

Yes, heartworm prevention is necessary, absolutely.

And just a side note, if you feel that your vet is "just out to make money" I suggest you keep looking and find a vet you trust.

You should be able to have open conversations with your vet about any and all concerns you may have, whether they be about your dogs health, lifestyle, financial concerns, etc. :-\

Good luck
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

that's all i need to hear. i will take him in to the vet tomorrow.. an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure...

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I know that vaccination procedures are different in the States because you have rabies, heartworm, etc., but after the puppies main vaccinations are out of the way, I do not do booster vaccinations. Never have done with either my cats or dogs.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

My pups get [email protected] (distemper/hepititis, parvo, parainfluenza and corona) at age 8 weeks.

At 12 weeks the same minus the corona and 3-4 days after vaccination we start on heartworm preventative (Interceptor)

at 16 weeks a third and final vaccination (no corona)

at 20 weeks a one year rabies

Then one year from last vaccination they get a booster. 4 weeks later a 3 year rabies.

After that I titer test in 2 years and if dog is covered I do not vaccinate and go to a 3 year protocol and would vaccinate only if titer shows they are not covered.

A new protocol maybe 2 years old now is to not do first vaccination on pups till 8 weeks. Anything prior is showing that it is interfearing with the colostrum they get from mothers milk.

I think your pup is covered on three series and I would not put more in the system.

Not knowing where you are located though and not knowing what is prevelant in your area could change my opinion.

jlab Guest

Here's a summary of the latest research from the UK on vaccinations:

Canine Vaccine Survey
    by Canine Health Concern, England

It is well known that there are risks associated with vaccination of dogs, just as there are risks for humans. The trouble is, no one has adequately quantified the risks. Is it true that only a tiny minority of dogs suffer adverse reactions to vaccines, or is the problem more common? And what is a vaccine reaction? Is it something that happens immediately after the jab, or can you expect a reaction to manifest weeks or months later?

Christopher Day, Honorary Secretary of the British Homoeopathic Veterinary Association, told us that, in his experience, where the start date of a dog's illness is known, a high percentage (around 80%) begin within three months of vaccination.

Canine Health Concern tested this observation and has analyzed the histories of over 3,800 dogs post vaccination. This critical mass, by any standards, is a very high number from which to draw valid statistical conclusions. Most commercial scientific research involves significantly fewer dogs (tending to base their conclusions on data involving a couple of litters of puppies, if that). We have been able to show a definite statistical correlation between a vaccine event and the onset of a number of specific illnesses. Our published conclusions have satisfied mathematical or inferential statistical tests at a level of confidence of 99% or better.

Overall, we found that 66% per cent of all sick dogs start being sick within three months of vaccination, which is considerably more than double the expected rate of illness. Worse, 49% of all illnesses reported in the survey occurred within 30 days of vaccination. This is over five times the expected percentage if vaccination had no bearing on subsequent illness. More damning still, 29% of sick dogs first became sick within seven days of their vaccine jab. This means that a dog is 13 times more likely to become ill within seven days of vaccination than at any other time.

In the study, 69.2% of allergic dogs first became allergic within three months of being vaccinated - more than double the expected number. 55.8% of dogs with autoimmune disease developed the condition within three months of being vaccinated - again, more than twice the expected figure. Of dogs with colitis, 65.9% developed the complaint within three months of being vaccinated and, of dogs with dry eye/conjunctivitis, 70.2% developed their conditions within three months - both nearly three times higher than expected. 73.1% of dogs with epilepsy first became epileptic within three months of vaccination. As 2% of all dogs in the UK are epileptic, vaccines are clearly causing horrendous damage. For statisticians, our Chi score for epilepsy is 96: any Chi test statistic higher than twelve gives a 95% confidence about the conclusions. Without doubt, then, the majority of epileptic dogs in our survey are vaccine damaged.

But perhaps most astonishing is the fact that a majority of dogs (64.9%) with behavioral problems appear to have developed their difficulties within three months of vaccination. Similarly, 72.5% per cent of dogs with nervous or worrying dispositions became nervous within three months of their jabs (with a Chi score of 112), and 73.1% per cent of dogs with short attention spans lost their attentiveness within three months of vaccination.

All of our evidence ties in with research in the human field, and a growing body of veterinary research, which says that vaccines cause allergies, hypersensitivity reactions, autoimmune disease, encephalitis, epilepsy, personality changes and brain damage.

The CHC results are statistically very significant, and carry with them very high statistical certainty. This means that the evidence is strong that the above diseases can be triggered or caused by vaccination.

Other diseases that were highly represented within three months post vaccination included cancer (35.1%) , chorea (81%), encephalitis (78.6%), heart conditions (39.2%), kidney damage (53.7%), liver damage/failure (61.5%), paralysis of the rear end (69.2%), and pancreas problems (54.2%).

Research conducted at Purdue University shows routinely vaccinated dogs developing auto antibodies to a vast range of normal canine biochemicals - which corroborates our findings.

Interestingly, our study showed that arthritis and Chronic Destructive Reticulo Myelopathy (CDRM - a degenerative disease affecting myelin in the spinal cord) occur in clusters nine months after vaccination, suggesting that the damage from vaccines resulting in these two diseases takes longer to develop or to show their symptoms.

Many contend that vaccines are a necessary evil; that we need them to protect our dogs against certain deadly canine diseases. However, our survey found that high percentages of dogs are developing the diseases we vaccinate against, soon after vaccination.

Of dogs with hepatitis, 64% contracted it within three months of being vaccinated and, of those with parainfluenza, 50% developed it within three months of their shots. Also, 69% of dogs with parvovirus, 56% of dogs with distemper, and every single dog with leptospirosis in the survey contracted the diseases within three months of vaccination.

Our figures support the view that vaccines don't confer guaranteed immunity and may actually cause the diseases they're designed to prevent. Our figures appear to demonstrate that vaccines cause illness in one in every hundred dogs - and this is a conservative estimate.

For human beings, the World Health Organization considers a reaction of one in 10,000 unacceptable. Surely the same statistics apply to dogs. Worse - and bordering on corporate dog slaughter - is the fact that we are urged to vaccinate companion animals every year. There is no scientific justification for this; it is a crime.

This research is ongoing. For further details or to participate, contact Canine Health Concern @ Box 6943, Forfar, Angus DD8 3WG, Scotland.

Thank you.

Catherine O¹Driscoll
    Canine Health Concern

jlab, please. This is just not the time for that. Please feel free to start a thread about the controversies of vaccines, but leave the new puppy owner out of it. Please. :-\

Kate
    We're Superdogs!

jlab Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    jlab, please. This is just not the time for that. Please feel free to start a thread about the controversies of vaccines, but leave the new puppy owner out of it. Please. :-\
    Baloo, remember these words?

If I choose to post in a thread, that is my choice. I have not been rude or nasty, and I would appreciate the same.
    If you have a problem with where or what I post, please send me a PM and we can discuss it offline. The originator of the thread is looking for different viewpoints, not just your viewpoint - that's why the question was asked.

Quote Originally Posted by jlab
    Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    Baloo, remember these words?

If I choose to post in a thread, that is my choice. I have not been rude or nasty, and I would appreciate the same.
    If you have a problem with where or what I post, please send me a PM and we can discuss it offline. The originator of the thread is looking for different viewpoints, not just your viewpoint - that's why the question was asked.

I never said that you couldn't post, I asked you to try to have a sense of when information like that is appropriate and when it is not. I asked you politely, I might add. Your post did not address the original poster's questions. You're just looking to encourage a deeper level of "group think" and I felt that was inappropriate.

PM's won't be necessary.
    Kate
    We're Superdogs!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast