Tri-colored gene?!?!?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tri-colored gene?!?!?

DefaultTri-colored gene?!?!?

We just bred our male with a female and I was curious about the tri-colored gene. Does it have to be present in both the male and the female or just one? Our male is all black, no recessive tri-colored gene. The female has the tri-colored gene although her entire litter was black. Our babies are due at the end of the week and I'm too curious to wait!! Does anyone know if it's possible for her to have any yellow or chocolates?? Thanks so much!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Tri-colored gene?!?!?

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

labby is offline Senior Member

What is a tri-colored gene? The 3 colors of Labrador are separate genes, not one. If the male is dominant black, then he'll produce only black no matter what color he's bred to. I really think you should have done more research into this BEFORE you bred.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

The female has the tri-colored gene although her entire litter was black.
    How do you know the litter is black if she's not due until the end of the week???

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

blacklabelias is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by darbyo
    We just bred our male with a female and I was curious about the tri-colored gene. Does it have to be present in both the male and the female or just one? Our male is all black, no recessive tri-colored gene. The female has the tri-colored gene although her entire litter was black. Our babies are due at the end of the week and I'm too curious to wait!! Does anyone know if it's possible for her to have any yellow or chocolates?? Thanks so much!
    I don't know the answer, just one reason of many that I don't breed.

There's no "tri-colored gene" There are two main color genes in labs. One controls whether the dog is black or chocolate (in both coat and pigment color) and one that controls whether the dog will have a yellow coat. Some people refer to a dog as being "tri-factored" if is able to produce all three colors which I believe may be what you're asking...

I agree that you didn't do nearly enough homework, if any, before you let your dog breed. :

I bet you don't show your dogs, or have done any of the health clearances either.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

My guess is they'll be all black.

Heck what was I thinking...spending all that time and money on dog shows, OFA, CERF, Optigen, pedigree research, LQ subscriptions...I should have just bred Grace her first season. I could have been rich by now.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

I totally understand the comments being made here but whats done is done. The bitch is due in a week.

Educating rather than making negative remarks is always the better way to go.

People will continue to breed no matter what we say so its best to try and educate so they may start and continue to do things right.

As reputable breeders it is our job to educate for the sake of the breed.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

I also would like to point out that the OP is brand new to the board and unfortunately, after reading all these comments will most likely not be back.

And that is sad because if she has problems whelping this litter or a problem with the pups afterward she will most likely not be coming here for help and it is the pups that could suffer as a result.

I certainly hope that I am wrong and although she most likely did not do her homework or clearances before this breeding I pray that the bitch has an uneventful whelp and all pups are fine.

I would also like to encourage OP to come here if they do need help in any way for the sake of your bitch and pups.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast