Hip not popping out of socket = early sign of HD???

Thread: Hip not popping out of socket = early sign of HD???

DefaultHip not popping out of socket = early sign of HD???

When I got my 8 mo. old lab spayed, the dr. said she couldn't pop the hip joint out of socket, which is an early indication, she says, of Hip dysplasia. She has sat the "lazy dog sit" since her spay, but I thought her incision just hurt. She also has limped after a long walk or a busy weekend of soccer games, etc... (before the spay) Does anyone know if its an early indicator if the hip doesn't pop out of socket? The vet says we should just watch her for now and not worry too much, but of course, I'm a nervous wreck about it. help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Hip not popping out of socket = early sign of HD???

Hip dysplasia can start when the hip *does* "pop out of the socket." Did your vet really mean that it actually should pop out? Maybe there was a miscommunication?

By the way, labs can have that "sloppy sit" whether or not they have hip problems. It is kindof an endearing feature of the breed, I think, though it drives me crazy during obedience competitions! LOL

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

labby is offline Senior Member

I just want to know why the heck is a vet trying to pop a joint out of the socket in the first place? ???

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Maybe it was the other way around. I was so stunned at the news that I probably got confused. Just wondering if this happened to anyone else and if this is the first way they check for HD.

labby is offline Senior Member

I've never heard of a vet even trying to pop a joint out of a socket. Dysplasia is diagnosed by xray.

Laura

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labby
    I've never heard of a vet even trying to pop a joint out of a socket. Dysplasia is diagnosed by xray.
    I haven't either, Labby.
    And I agree- get some radiographs (x-rays) of those hips if they are in question.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

Well, my Owen had a hip that would pop out of socket at 6 months and that continued until, amongst other really bad things, we had him put to rest.

At 14 months, he was X rayed and his hips were grade 2 dysplastic, and the worst out local vet had ever seen, the cup was not only shallow, but the ball was nearly flat. If he had no other problems, his hips would have been gladly repaired.

Point being, not once did any vet and we saw many, try to pop his hip out, actually I spent a lot of money to keep them in! Be wary of your vet. This is not the first time I have heard of a vet trying to pop hips out...weird.

The only real way to diagnose your puppy is to have films taken and go to a vet who knows what they are doing!

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

I hope you misunderstood your vet and I would have x-rays done.