lab stiffness

Thread: lab stiffness

lab13 is offline Senior Member

Defaultlab stiffness

My senior lab has some stiffness in the past few days. I suspect she is getting arithiris in the hind legs as she has trouble sometimes getting into the van.

She takes l hydroxyzine a day. I was thinking of giving her a coated aspirin per day to see if this helps.

Our regular vet is away and want to wait till he gets back.

Do you know if a dog can take the antihistamine and a aspirin in the same day?? THanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: lab stiffness

As long as there is no asprin in the antihistimine, I dont see why it should be a problem .. But I am not a vet

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Hi doses of vit. C to bowel tollerance can help with arthritis. Vit.C helps the adrenal gland to produce natural anti-inflamatories.

Glucosamine and Chondroitin supplements as well.

DLPA, Done Gone Pain. Go to the arthritis section in this link for lots of help. www.dogaware.com

Be sure she is on a high enough protein to help her maintaine muscle mass as she is going to need it being less active and having the arthritis.

I would not recommend combining the 2 drugs you mention - probably wouldn't be a problem but I would check with a vet.

Arthritis will be worse in the cold weather so keeping her warm will help.

light to moderate exercise will also help as it will help her to maintain muscle mass.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

You may want to give MSM a try. Some of the glucosamine/chondroitin formulas have it in it, but I buy the powder/granules from our feed store and give ~1000mg per day to my dogs and a little more to myself (bad back). YOu'll want to start out w/ giving it 2x/day at first, then scale back to 1x after a week of "loading" the system. It is a sulfur source, as safe as water. The dog excretes what he doesn't use. -Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

If you have a Vitamin World in your area there is a product I take for myself and give to Oona called Joint Soother. It has MSM, Glucosamine, and Condroitin in it. Vitamin World has a special for members (no cost) where they have a Buy One Get One policy for the first three days of the month.
    Olie