Those with MCT, diet change?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Those with MCT, diet change?

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

DefaultThose with MCT, diet change?

I've read a couple of things that say you should change your dogs diet if he gets a mast cell tumor. Specifically, put them on a grain-free or raw diet. I've tried grain-free for Frankie before and didn't have good results (Innova EVO, loose stools) so I went back to Nutro. Recently I bought another bag of Innova EVO to try, but this is the red meat small bites version. http://www.evopet.com/products/default.asp?id=1491

He seems to like it and he's got good poops. Granted, I'm still mixing it with Nutro for now so we don't do a total switch all at one. I'm feeding Tucker the same now, but I'm wondering if the protein will be too much for him.

What are your thoughts on MCT diet change? I'm going to ask my vet when he goes back to get his stitches out but thought I'd ask here for personal experiences with this.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Those with MCT, diet change?

I've read that too Amy. I didn't change my dog's diet though.

Laura

The whole thing is just so frustrating. I don't know what's what right now.

I think I'll stick to 1/2 Nutro, 1/2 Innova until he goes back on the 3rd and see what Dr. H. says. I guess it will also depend on the biopsy results.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

Personally, I'm all for a grain free diet. After Jordan was diagnosed with lymphoma, I did a lot of reading. I decided then and there that anything with corn in it, was a no go for my house. Call me crazy, but I truly think corn has a lot to do with it in some circumstances. It's sprayed with who knows what, and isn't even human grade corn in most instances.

With Abby having a slight wheat intolerance as well, it just seemed like the natural choice for me to go totally grain free. I'm happy with it.

I'd get rid of anything with corn in it Amy, but that's just mho.

When do you find out about the results?

Oh, and fwiw, when I tried the Innova switch, both girls had crazy runny diarrehea. It was too rich for them. If the red meat Innova is working, I'd go strictly with that for peace of mind.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

We should get the results back sometime this week. The red meat stuff seems to be working well for them both. For now anyway. What do you feed Karina? I was going to try the raw instinct stuff but it had fish in it.

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

I'm PMing you ;D
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

imported_zoezoe is offline Senior Member

I'd definitely try a grain free diet. I have a friend who had a dog with cancer and was operated on several times at Auburn University. The vets there told her that cancer grows off carbs (grains are carbs). Also, you have to really feed A LOT less when feeding Innova EVO. I fed it to Dutch for a few months and based on what went in the bowl, it looks like you're starving them, but you aren't. He got about 3/4 of a cup at each feeding (2X day) and it looked like nothing. He never acted hungry, etc. I think a lot of issues with runny poo on Innova EVO come from overfeeding.

Kathy5475 is offline Senior Member

I wish I had known about this msg board when Callie was here. I'm so stupid, it never even occurred to me to change her diet after her MCT. Now I'm kicking myself wonder if I couldn't have done more for her.

lab13 is offline Senior Member

Only thing I read about diet and mast cell tumors is that the diet should be high protein, high fat and low carb. I didn't think it meant NO CARBS??

My concern as you can see in my recent posts is that I need a hypoallergenic food but they are all low protein and low fat and high carb which isn't good for my lab if you want to follow the above idea for the mast cell tumours avoidance.

Any suggestions here would be great too.

Good luck.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

I agree with grain free. I feed Nature's Variety Instinct and cut my one girl from 3 cups of her old food to 2 1/4 of the Intstinct. After 4 weeks her weight was the same. Howevr, after 6 weeks she looks a bit chunky so I cut her to 2 cups yesterday.

Although the Instinct has fish as 5th ingred. I heard recently heard that all ingred. listed prior to the fat source (chicken fat or the like) are what the food is mostly made up of so there could be very little fish in this food. Is your dog allergic to fish or is this something you should stay away from for the cancer?

Go to this web site - you should get some very helpful info on cancer. So sorry you are dealing with this and prayers that a change in diet will help.

http://www.dogaware.com/specific.html#cancer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast