Lumps on chin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lumps on chin

DefaultLumps on chin

Hi everyone,

I'm concerned about Gunny's skin, particularly under his chin. He is prone to getting skin infections this time of year, so I try to keep a close eye on any changes. Aside from the usual irritations, he has what appears to be canine warts under his chin, but I'm not sure. They are tough lumps in clusters, and quite a lot of them. There were a few last week, and now they seem to be getting bigger and/or multiplying. He also has a few of these spots on his legs. I'm going to take him to the vet, but I wanted to see if anyone has had a similar experience.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Lumps on chin

Try washing his skin under his chin twice daily with antibacterial handsoap and rinse well. If not getting better in two weeks, bring him in, they may be able to give him an antibiotic.

I don't know how old Gunny is, but when my boy was just over a year he got those too, they called it acne, like human teens get. The washing his face cleared it up!

Good luck!

Thanks, that's a great idea.

He's 1 1/2, and was kind of lazy about retrieving until just after the new year, and now he's a maniac about it. He's gone from looking at me like, "Seriously?" to getting that glazed-over look in his eyes when something might be tossed in the air. As soon as we get the retriever trainer and the launcher, he starts shaking, whining and drooling until it's released.

In fact, he's been doing a lot of retrieving in the brush, which might be a factor with his chin irritation. So my guess is that his face is digging around in places that irritate the rest of his skin anyway, so no wonder it's acting up. :

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Know a breeder who uses physoderm for acne on pups with strangles and it works great.

If it turns out to not be acne I would consider giving him probiotics with the thought that it could be a bacterial issue.

Beachboys is offline Senior Member

There is the chance that they are warts. Mambo has had them. They started out as a few and within weeks there were alot more. He got alot n his mouth too. But after a few vets visits. Which by the way. They do not treat them unless they are causing discomfort. (atleast what I have been told)They just feel off.

Hope you find out what they are. There is a picture of when Mambo had them on here in health section. But it was under Mybabymambo. Back a few months ago.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

If it is warts I would think a probiotic (live organism type that must be refridgerated) would help.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Warts around the mouth are usually found in dogs under 2 years age and are caused by the canine papilloma virus. As their immune system matures it usually counters the virus that causes them. If they don't disappear spontaneously within 6-12 weeks, then they can be removed.

Source: Giffin & Carlson, Dog Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook, pp 214-215

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Could also just be pimples - how old?

Gunny is 19 months. I took him to the vet and she did a scraping of one on his leg; no mites, but she said they don't always show up. She did feel that it was bacterial, and gave him antibiotics and suggestions on how to best keep it clean without irritating his skin any further.

She also set us up with a multi-vitamin suppliment with the fish oil to help out the rest of his skin and pads. Anything I can put on his pads to help the wear and cracking?

Thanks for all the tips!

Also, don't use stainless steel bowls and wash the bowls every other day or so until it goes away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast