Need Advice...Please Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Advice...Please Help

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

DefaultNeed Advice...Please Help

I will try to keep this as condensed as possible, and do apologize if it ends up being long. But I could really use some help. In a nutshell, my 7 month old pup has been having diarrhea on and off since May 24th. Each time she started with the diarrhea, and after consulting the Vet, she was put on a boiled chicken and rice diet until her diarrhea cleared up. Then we were told to slowly introduce her kibble back into the chicken and rice, which we did. (her kibble: Pro Plan LBP Chicken and Rice). After the second bout of diarrhea the Vet put her on antibiotics. She finished them and all seemed okay and then she got diarrhea again. Around this time she had swallowed a bully stick that was about 3 inches long, so I don't know if that had anything to do with her getting diarrhea again or not. Well, my girl has been on plain chicken and rice for a while now, no treats of any kind, and no more bully sticks. This morning I was a bit backward and fed her and then walked her instead of the other way around. I added about a half cup of her kibble to the chicken and rice, waited about a half hour and walked her. During the walk she was pulling a lot and straining against her collar. When we got home, about 10 minutes later she threw up all of her breakfast. During all of this on-again-off-again-diarrhea she has not once thrown up. She has not had diarrhea since Monday so I was concerned when she threw up this morning. I am wondering if it was due to all the choking on her collar during our walk, especially after eating so soon before. I took her to the Vet right away. Now, this Vet's office has 2 Vets. Vet A I like and agree with her approach, which is not to be so quick to prescribe meds unless absolutely necessary. Vet B is the opposite. Every time I bring my pup in for whatever reason, he wants to put her on meds. This morning we saw Vet A thankfully. She advised getting some xrays for my puppy, so I had to leave her for a couple of hours. Before I left, Vet A spent a good deal of time with me explaining that if the xrays came back okay we would try a Veterinary Prescription diet for a while to rule out any allergies. I think it is called IVD Duck and Potato. She said that my puppy has been on the chicken and rice for long enough so we should start getting some needed nutrients into her, which I totally agree. Well, when I went to pick up my pup Vet A was gone for the day so I had to deal with Vet B. The xrays were fine, no blockage or anything, thank goodness. However, Vet B said to keep her on chicken and rice for another week, and prescribed antibiotics: Metoclopramide 10 mg, and Cimetidine 200 mg. When I asked why the meds, he said for the vomiting. I said, but she only vomited once and I told him about why I think she vomited. And his response was, Well think if you were to eat a big meal and then go play basketball. And I said, I know, so again, why the meds? And he said to give her the meds and if she doesn't throw up, after a couple of days stop the meds. She was just ON a course of antibiotics about 2 weeks ago! I'm so confused!!! One vet says one thing, and the other says another! If my girl vomits again, I will of course call the vet office. But if she doesn't, then I think it was because I screwed up and walked her AFTER she ate, plus she pulled a lot today and was choking herself at times.
    I think I will follow Vet A's advice, and not give the meds, and call her first thing Monday morning, and also tell her about Vet B's advice and that it was very different from her's.
    I'm not so sure about this Vet office. I really like Vet A. But I don't want to have to deal with this every time my girl has a problem. What would you guys do?? What do you think about that special Vet diet, too? I read a little bit about it and went on dogfood analysis.com and it got a crappy rating. So why would I want to put her on that?? Any advice?? Please? I'm very sorry this is so long but I had to give all the info so hopefully someone can help me!! By the way, when I told the breeder about the Vet Diet she said it is not necessary and that it is very unlikely she has a food allergy. What on earth do I do. Thanks to any responses!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Need Advice...Please Help

Have they tested her stool, sent it off to a lab to be tested? Sometimes stools need to be tested several times because if she has some type of worm or parasite, they may not show up on 1 stool sample, something to do with shedding eggs and cycles. Maybe she doesn't do well on chicken. Try changing her to another protein. The IVD (now Royal Canin) potato and duck diet isn't all that bad as far as prescription foods go.

Regarding your vet's office, is there anyway, when you make your appointment, that it can be with vet A. My vet has 4 vets and I request to see 1 specifically. If they don't allow it, I'd find another vet.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

How old is your puppy?

Is she cutting teeth? A lot of puppies will get diarrhea when they are teething. Also some pups (mine included) begin to eat a lot of stuff they shouldn't once they get those big dog teeth (around five months). Things like bugs, weeds, etc. That can also lead to diarrhea.

What I did with Remington was this... I continued his normal kibble but added two heaping tablespoons full of canned pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling... plain canned pumpkin). Pumpkin really really helps the GI tract regulate itself. It will bind up diarrhea and also alleviate constipation. Also, I added two tablespoons full of plain vanilla yogurt to his meals for several days.

Just before I began the pumpkin I DID give him Immodium one night as well.

Seriously give the pumpkin and yogurt a try. It can't hurt, and it may do a world of good for your pup.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

Since your pup was on antibiotics for awhile, try a teaspoon of plain vanilla yogurt twice a day. It may help. It can put some good bacteria back in the intestines.

I also agree on getting a stool sample to check for parasites. Is there anyway you can just see Vet A? Good luck & ley us know how your pup is doing.

everydog is offline Senior Member

However, Vet B said to keep her on chicken and rice for another week, and prescribed antibiotics: Metoclopramide 10 mg, and Cimetidine 200 mg
    You've gotten good advice, just wanted to add that neither of these is an antibiotic. They are the generic forms of Reglan (for heartburn) and Tagamet (decreases stomach acid.)

Thank you all for your insight and advice! Yes, I did have her stool sample analyzed and it came back fine. But perhaps I need to have another checked? My Breezy girl is 7 months old for those of you who asked. I am just so worried and concerned; this is a long time, I feel, for her to be eating nothing but boiled chicken and rice. Even though she is my first puppy and also first dog, I can't help but think that she must be missing out on a lot of very important nutrition right now. I can even see the difference in her energy level. She isn't as spunky as she usually is. Of course she ALWAYS wants to play, and have attention, but lately, she just isn't quite the same.
    Yes I would much rather have Vet A taking care of Breezy. I always ask for her, but it sometimes doesn't work out the way I hope it does. Like today. I started out with Vet A.......YEY!!!!........And as it turned out, I had to leave her for xrays and so by the time I picked her up........Vet B was on deck.......Booooo!!!.....So even though I try to have Breezy see Vet A all of the time, that doesn't always happen. UGH. I just want to do what is best for my little girl and sometimes it is very confusing. But I thank you all so much for your advice, and your responses!! This forum is a tremendous help, and you all are so good about helping others, and I SO appreciate all of your advice and the time you take to share your thoughts and wisdom. I'm very thankful. This is my first little pup, and I love her SO.............and I'm really happy to have found this forum. You guys/gals are awesome. Thank you!!

At 7 months, you could put her on adult food.

If you do switch to adult food, make sure it is formulated for all life stages and has an appropriate level of calcium (generally 1.5% or less). Calcium should be controlled until 6-9 months, so you don't need to worry about it too much longer. However, since she's still growing a generic adult food will not be ideal, you'll have to make sure it's formulated for all life-stages.

Riley had on and off diarrhea for the first 3-4 months I had him (up to about 7-8 months). Just now in the last 2 months since I've had him on Canidae ALS has it really firmed up well. It turned out he had a pretty sensitive tummy, and pretty much ANYTHING would cause diarrhea. He never acted sick or slowed down. His appetite was fine, and he was gaining adequate weight. I would watch all those things, be sure you are not OVERfeeding her, and avoid too many treats, etc. You could talk to your breeder or vet or whoever you go to for nutritional advice and see about switching to a different variety of ProPlan or possibly a different brand of food. I would seek the advice of the other vet regarding the meds. Everydog is right about Cimetidine and Metoclopramide...they are often prescribed for patients with upset stomachs (in the human world anyway), and in my experience, they can be very effective. However, if you are like me, you don't want your dog on any meds if possible, and I would be more apt to try to figure out the CAUSE of the diarrhea and eliminate that rather than push pills. Keep an eye on her weight, activity level, and the color of her gums to monitor for dehydration. Good luck; I know it can be so frustrating when you are hearing one thing from one person and another from the other.

ks02,
    I have been wanting to switch her regular food for a while now but with all this on and off diarrhea, I have had to wait. I was considering Innova. Not Evo, but Innova. Breezy has been on Pro Plan all along, and I think Innova would be a better food for her. Now, how do I discuss this without insulting the breeder? The breeder highly recommends Pro Plan, and feeds all of her dogs it, never had a problem she says. I feel hesitant to ask her about switching to a better food because I don't want to insult her at all. The Vet (the one I like) wants Breezy on a Veterinary Prescription Diet after all the diarrhea ends. (Which, so far, has!!) The Vet says it is to rule out any possible food allergies. But after reading about this IVD diet, (Duck and Potato) I am not thrilled with the ingredients. Dogfoodanalysis.com gave it a one-star rating out of six stars. It has by-products and grains and filler and a lot of things I can't even pronounce and I am trying to get my pup OFF ingredients like that.
    Should I just ignore the Vet's advice and start her on Innova, or put her on the IVD diet for a while, and then switch her to Innova. I hate the thought of switching her food around so much, especially after all she's been through!
    Thanks for your response, and any other advice is truly appreciated!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast