Vitamin A Resposive Dermatosis

Thread: Vitamin A Resposive Dermatosis

DefaultVitamin A Resposive Dermatosis

Anyone's Lab ever been diagnosed with this? Colby (he is 8 months old now...but about 6 months when we first took him in...) was just diagnosed with this yesterday by a dermatologist. It is not serious (thank goodness!) and should get better after a few months on some Vitamin A pills (so they say...).

We took him to the vet a couple of months ago because he was having patchy hair loss and a tiny bit of redness in those areas. All fungal tests were negative, mite scrapes were negative, and tape preps did not find any bacteria or yeast. They gave him antibiotics at the beginning just in case....that did nothing. His patches started getting worse, so we did the skin biopsy to get to the bottom of it.

So I just wondered if anyone here has experienced this, and if so, how long did it really take before the skin and hair started to get better, AND....does your dog still take Vitamin A every day???

This is only my 2nd post here, but I've been reading a LOT...especially since Colby is my first dog! I really love it here, and appreciate all the great information!

Traci

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Vitamin A Resposive Dermatosis

I'm sorry I can help you as I have never dealt with this condition.

Just wanted to say good luck and I hope it clears up quickly.

How much hair loss does your dog have? My dog has lost a lot of hair all over. The dermatologist is putting it down to allergies. Could you tell me how much Vit A you aare giving your dog. Thanks

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ourmackie
    How much hair loss does your dog have? My dog has lost a lot of hair all over. The dermatologist is putting it down to allergies. Could you tell me how much Vit A you aare giving your dog. Thanks
    He has very little hair loss, really. It started out as a couple of small spots on the inside of one of his legs...each one about the size of a dime. The hair wasn't totally gone either, it was just real patchy right there. Gradually, it spread....and there were probably 15-20 patches of the same size on that leg. Then he started to get a few spots on his side, sort of close to his stomach area.

The vet told me to give him 1 (10,000 IU) Vitamin A tablet per day with a fatty meal.

:-)
    Traci