Acid Reflux

Thread: Acid Reflux

Pam
    Pam is offline Senior Member

DefaultAcid Reflux

Has anyone had any experience with this? I took Buddy to the ER in the middle of the night 3 weeks ago as he woke up trying to vomit. He kept trying but nothing came up.
    They took xrays and didn't find anything so we came home.
    Went to our regular vet and he seemed perfectly ok. She didn't do bloodwork cause he had it a few months ago.
    He is perfectly fine all day long even tho he sleeps a lot (he's 11). His eating/pooping habits haven't changed. His food hasn't changed. But a few nights ago, it happened again. This time not as severe as the first time. He tried 2 or 3 times to bring something up, didn't and went back to sleep.
    Vet told me he might be hungry since he eats dinner so early (his choice, not mine). They suggested I give him a little food at around 8PM. I've done that for 3 nights and last night at 11:30PM he woke up gagging again. I just got off the phone with them and they suggested I try giving him 40 mg. Pepcid AC twice a day.
    I am supposed to go on a car trip Sunday that will last 3 weeks. He is coming. Now I'm afraid to go. If this keeps up, I want to be home near my own vet.
    I'm wondering if anyone else has had this type of problem.
    Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Caleb was bringing up phlegm in the early mornings for awhile. I started giving him a large dog biscuit when we go to bed. Seems to have done the trick.

Pam
    Pam is offline Senior Member

Thank you so much for the response. I'm hoping a late night snack will do the trick.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Shadow could not go more than 10 hours without food or she would throw up bile. Champ is the same way. The boys get breakfast when we get up, about 6:30 am now that neigher of us are working, then 'lunch' around 2:30 - 3:00 pm. Green beans at 8:00 pm, but for Champ I add 1/4 cup of kibble to his beans.

The boys had kept pushing up bean time until they were getting the beans at about 7:00 pm, but then I was finding where someone had thrown up bile during the night, behind the door. So, I moved it back to 8:00 pm and not a minute earlier - much to their disgust.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Just with myself not my dog

Hope Buddy gets better.