I need to change Rocket's diet - suggestions please

Thread: I need to change Rocket's diet - suggestions please

DefaultI need to change Rocket's diet - suggestions please

I've been feeding Rocket Natural Choice LBPuppy Lamb and Rice formula since he was a little puppy.
    Well, now we're in a serious financial pinch and my husband has decided specific measures we must take to decrease our spending, including a less expensive dog food for Rocket.

When I first got Rocket we were giving him Purina, but he started losing weight and you could actually see his ribs. I was told at Puppy Kindergarten to keep him on lamb and rice, and sure enough, he's done great ever since. The cost for the Natural Choice is about $25.99 for the 20-lb bag. I went to the petstore yesterday to look at other brands of LBPuppy lamb/rice foods, and discovered this one was their cheapest one compared to all the other breeds. WalMart doesn't have a lamb/rice formula that doesn't list chicken/corn first. No luck at Target either.

Any suggestions? I won't change him if I can't find a cheaper lamb/rice, but surely there has to be a food out there closer to $15/bag that isn't crap!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: I need to change Rocket's diet - suggestions please

What about Kirkland? I can't find a price for it but I know it is a very reasonably priced food. I'm sure someone on here who feeds it can tell you.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I fed Nutro NC LBP food for the first 11 months of Puff's life and then switched to Costco's (warehouse club) Kirkland L&R -- later changed to C&R when I noticed so many of the L&R's top ingredients were rice/rice products.

If you don't have a Costco near you (mine is 70 miles distant) or don't want to pay the yearly membership fee ($40?), you might look at "Diamond Naturals" It's made by the same company that makes the Kirkland and they both have a very similar ingredient list.

With the price of gas, it'd be cheaper for me to buy the Diamond Naturals BUT I so much like Costco's rotisserie chickens, fresh salmon, mixed nuts, balsamic vinegar (wow!!!), and other things, I look forward to the trip.

There are now differences between the straight "Diamond" line (more corn, wheat fillers and cheaper) and the "Diamond Naturals" line (no corn, wheat).

First 12 Kirkland C&R ingredients:

Chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, cracked pearl barley, chicken fat (preserved with chicken fat and mixed tocopherols and Vitamin E), egg product, beet pulp, potatoes, fish meal, flax seed, natural flavor, brewer's dried yeast....

Crude Protein_____26% min
    Crude Fat________16% min
    Crude Fiber________4% max

3,754 kcals/kg 362 kcals/cup Calculated Metabolizable Energy

It carries AAFCO highest certification (that animal feeding trials with this diet provide complete and balanced nutrition for all life stages).

I suspect that the K. or DN ingredients are better than those of Nutro's.

Diamond dealer locator:

http://www.diamondpet.com/dealer_locator/
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

many thanks
    I clicked on the link and selected Texas. Nothing came up. I'm guessing that means they either don't distribute in Texas, or I need to google it (which I will)

You have both been very helpful. thanks

The thing with cheaper dog foods is that they cost you in the long run. Sometimes you have to feed more to maintain weight, could have ear issues, which would cost vet visits, etc. To me, saving a few bucks on a bag of dog food is not worth it.

Also, how old is your dog? Why not feed him adult food? Feeding him adult food would save you money.

Oh, BYW & FWIW --

Diamond Naturals is sold in smaller quantities than 40 lb. bags. Kirkland is not.

I found through experience that the food was growing stale and unappetizing to Puff by the time the bag was only half gone.

It's really a problem since Puff eats barely more than 2 cups/day, so one bag last months and months and has ample time to get stale -- just like people's crackers or cookies would if left exposed to air for that long.

I tried many different methods of trying to protect the unused food -- RubberMaid storage containers, etc., but the final method that I found which works the best is to immediately transfer the contents of the 40 lb. bag into 10-11 one gallon Ziplock freezer bags and suck as much excess air as reasonably possible from each one just before sealing it. Then I put 5 bags in the freezer and 5 back in the paper bag. The day before one is needed from the freezer, I take it out so it warms up to room temp before opening it.

I've done this so many times, the process has become streamlined so it takes minimal time.

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":

many thanks
    I clicked on the link and selected Texas. Nothing came up. I'm guessing that means they either don't distribute in Texas, or I need to google it (which I will)
    Their website is a little confusing.

Once you've clicked on the link, then scroll down -- you'll find maybe hundreds of Diamond dealers listed in Texas.

Diamond Naturals is sold at Petco and most feed stores. I know you'll be able to find it in Texas!

I feed it to Gabby (have for about three months). I, like Bob, switched from Nutro. I've been very happy with it- in fact, we saw the vet this morning and they were very pleased with how she looked/felt.

In Saint Louis, Diamond Naturals at a feed store is 16.99 for a 40lb bag (which is great for a law student on a budget).