I'm worried about Reese, we first noticed a bit of swelling in his right, front "wrist" on Sunday. I've been watching it, it seemed to be getting better and he wasn't limping. I was just thinking it may have been a bug bite since he does have an allergy to flea bites.
This evening, he was laying down on the kitchen floor and was limping for a few mins when he first got up. We had a lot of company over the weekend but he was inside most of the time. I can't figure out what would have caused it. I can't see any drainage or cuts on the area.
Does anyone have any advice or experience with anything like this? We have an appointment with our vet tomorrow. I'm just wondering if I should brace myself for something serious. :'( :'(
How old is Reese? I would just get him into the vet and have them check it. Maybe try to put some ice on it since it's swelling it should help bring it down. You can give buffered asprin but I can't remember the dosage. Some prefer not to because if it feels better they will walk on it more and possibly hurt it worse.
Thank you for the reply. I had to work this morning so Dean took him in. They think he sprained it. He's on anti-inflammatories and they will x-ray on Saturday morning if he doesn't improve. She wants to rule out bone cancer but thinks the risk of that is pretty small.
I forgot to add- Reese is about 2.5 years old.
I hope it's just a sprain and the meds help.
Swelling in the whole wrist? Most likely just an injury. Do you recall anything happening?
That happened to maddy a while back. We were doing retrieves and she yelped and limped a little. It went away but she seemed to have a swollen wrist for quite a while. I had to take her in for some other things, and asked about it...they wanted to check for Lyme disease and an auto-immune disease...in the end it was just chronic stress from her being a retrieving freak and not allowing it to heal...
I know it's important to make sure our dogs aren't sick, but be careful about random testing. Lyme isn't even prevalent in So. Cal where we were living at the time. I could have saved about $200 on THAT test!
I would keep him from doing anything other than going out to the bathroom for the next couple of days and then only walking for two weeks just so the injury doesn't reoccur or get worse.
Thank you everyone. He's feeling better on the pain meds but the swelling is still there. He's getting his x-rays in the morning.
We have no idea what happened. He's not used to the stairs yet at our new house so maybe he did something while using them? He also was doing some retreiving too so it's hard to say.
Cross your fingers and hope it's nothing serious. I'll update tomorrow.
Sending good thoughts for him. Sounds like it could be a sprain.
I'm feeling bittersweet right now. My vet clinic is a satellite of a big clinic in the city. Someone forgot to bring the portable x-ray machine so they told us to wait until early next week. The vet feels that it's not an urgent matter and has a feeling it's improving on its own. If he's still swelling and getting sore once his Rx is done, we will go back to doing x-rays.
So I'm sad that we don't know what the problem is but very relieved that our vet feels that it will get better on its own. I trust her judgement and am glad that we may not need to do the rads after all.
Reese is doing so much better, we're still trying to keep him quiet but it's been a challenge. He has one more day of pain meds and we'll see how he does on Monday. Keep your fingers crossed that this will continue to improve without the meds.
I'm so happy, the swelling seems to going down. He's really acting like his old self. Today was his last dose of medication so we will see how he does tomorrow when it wears off.