Stinky 8 Month Male Lab

Thread: Stinky 8 Month Male Lab

DefaultStinky 8 Month Male Lab

I need some help! I have a stinky 8 Month Male Lab mix and can't seem to figure out why... I thought that maybe it was his anal glands needing expressed but he doesn't have any other symptoms (itching, butt scooting, soft stools, etc). We have bathed him several times but it doesn't seem to help. We are feeding him Eagle Pack Holistic Select - Puppy Formula. He has not be neutered yet and is about 75 pounds. Can anyone make any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Stinky 8 Month Male Lab

Musky unaltered adult male smell perhaps? Don't have a clue!

Dani is offline Senior Member

Don't bathe him so much. And yes...some unaltered males have that MUSKINESS to them.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

SOME might, but honestly, I have never noticed between mine and my friends' intact males.

Could be too many baths. Could be the food. Just because it's a good food doesn't mean that your dog is doing well on it...sometimes food causes odor. Just a thought.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by CYNLABS
    SOME might, but honestly, I have never noticed between mine and my friends' intact males.

Could be too many baths. Could be the food. Just because it's a good food doesn't mean that your dog is doing well on it...sometimes food causes odor. Just a thought.
    I agree with this.

I see my intact male pups from last litter often and none "stink". Less bathing and a change in food may make the difference.

Thanks for the help - I was thinking that it could be the food as well. I started him out on Iams Puppy Large Breed and made the switch to Eagle Pack Holistic Select about the middle of April. He made the switch on food with no problems, so what do you guys suggest? I read a lot of about the Nutro when I was researching the last time... I just want to make sure he eats well and it is good for him.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

If the original food was the cause of his stinkiness give it a bit more time to get out of his system before doing another food switch. Some times it takes a bit of time.

I just went thru a food recall (Sensible Choice) due to cross contamination and Nutro did have one kibble recalled that I know of - therefore IMO I would stay away from it.

Pretty sure Eagle Pack is good ingred. but check for corn, soy, wheat, etc. - often can cause issues in some dogs.

Alright - so I have been researching the food ingredients in the Eagle Pack Holistic Select and talked with a Nutritionist directly at Eagle Pack. They determined that it could be the food, but wasn't giving me a definite answer. I talked with a couple pet store employees tonight and once specifically mentioned that her friend's dog smelled on Holistic Select as well. She said that it was the Anchovies and Sardine Meats. I went home and checked the ingredients and sure enough... it is eighth on the list. So, I am not losing my mind... my dog smells like a rotting fish because of his food. I am planning on buying a bag of the Nutro Natural Choice tomorrow and start the transition process. The ingredient list on Nutro doesn't have any Anchovies or Sardine Meats. I have nothing to lose at this point... he is going to run me out of my own house if I don't try something.