Feeding an 11 month old

Thread: Feeding an 11 month old

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

DefaultFeeding an 11 month old

Rowan should be finished her puppy formula in a couple more weeks and then I will be switching her to an adult food.

My question is..... she is getting 2.5 cups a day.... when you switch her to an adult food.. does this increase.. stay the same???

I am trying to get weight off her... we are walking three times a day for about 20-30 minutes each time..... and I am trying to get some fetch in with her (although we are awaiting our fence.. and she doesn't stay interested long as she is distracted by the people on the walking trails.. that are off our backyard)

What is a reasonable number to be looking at in regards to...? pounds per month for weight loss.??
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Feeding an 11 month old

I think you should keep the amount at 2.5 cups and see how she does. Depending on how much she has to loose you may find that the weight comes off faster because adult dog food usually contains less protein and fat than puppy food does. If, however, she loses too much or too fast, obviously you should increase the amount and go from there.

I think the amount of walking you are doing is great.

Thanks Trickster!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I'll recommend differently than Trickster.

How many kcals/cup in the puppy food you're feeding?

How many kcals/cup in the "adult" food?

Do the simple arithmetic to keep the kcals the same (NOT the cups!!) If there's some weight gaining you don't like, reduce the amount of adult food and increase the daily exercise.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

If it were me, I would do 2 cups a day and see what happens.

Honestly, you probabaly could have trimmed her up a bit sooner by going to adult formula earlier. Puppy food is much more calorie rich.

Quote Originally Posted by CYNLABS
    If it were me, I would do 2 cups a day and see what happens.

Honestly, you probabaly could have trimmed her up a bit sooner by going to adult formula earlier. Puppy food is much more calorie rich.
    I rec'd so many mixed signals of people telling me that she 'needed to be on' the puppy formula until she was 12 months. : I will be switching her to the adult food as soon as this batch of puppy is done. As for cutting her back to two cups a day.... she appears to be starving now on 2.5 cups... so how do I know if this is realistic or if she is just being a lab?? :

ks02 is offline Senior Member

More than likely, she is just being a lab. How does she like green beans? You could add some canned RINSED green beans to her food to add more substance. Remember, if we all gave in when these little piggies told us they were "starving" we'd probably all have 120 pounders.

Thanks for the reminder ~ I have some yellow beans in the freezer. I will do them up and starting adding them to her food.

It is so hard to tell as she is 'bulkier' in stature - ..... she takes after her Daddy but I do notice some change in her but would like it to come a little quicker :.

imported_gabbys mom is offline Senior Member

I'm going to second the recommendation for green beans! Gabby likes to attempt to convince me that she's starving to death!

Gabby is also a stocky build so I also have to watch her weight very, very carefully. When we went from puppy food to adult food, the vet had told me to take 3-4 pounds off of her. So we went from 3 cups of puppy food (1 cup 3x a day) to 1 cup of adult food am and pm and a can of green beans at lunch.

My vet said to use them as a substitute for a meal (ie, lunch) instead of as an addition.
    <br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

Great to know.... I will be doing this....thanks everyone!