Puppy feeding question

Thread: Puppy feeding question

blackjack is offline Senior Member

DefaultPuppy feeding question

Our boy is 13-1/2 weeks old. The breeder sent him home with Nature's Recipe puppy kibble and canned and said to feed him 1-1/3 cup kibble and 1/4 can 3x a day. He never finished it so I cut him back to 1c kibble at each meal. Breakfast is the only meal that he normally finishes. Lunch he eats about half and dinner most of it. He tends to wander away from his bowl and has to be coaxed back. This is a problem because we have three other dogs (beagles) who are more than happy to finish his meals for him as they are all on diets. I feel like a traffic cop as I try to shuttle the dogs in and out of the kitchen so that everybody eats their dinner and their dinner only. We are in the process of switching everybody over to Canidae (the beagles have been eating Costco but we have been fighting the ear infection from hell and I am starting to think that it may be partly the food).

Okay, so the questions are, is he eating enough? Is it normal for him to wander around during meal time? He is growing and his coat looks great. If I could figure out how to post a picture I would ;D

Rusty, Blaze & Buster Brown
    BJ - 3/9/2007 - 2/6/12 - miss you everyday
    Boomer - ? - 3/15/12 - always in my heart

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Puppy feeding question

Maybe he doesn't like the taste of it? Maybe you were feeding him too much? It could be either really. Three cups total a day sounds perfect for that size pup, 1 cup 3 times a day.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

I had a pup in last litter that owner had this problem with.

She was feeding dry. I told her to add a bit of water - not soaked food - and the pup now eats every meal and continues to at 1 year of age (2 meals a day).

Give it a try - may work for your pup.

As far as over feeding - what does your pup weigh? If you can figure it out a pic (side view) would be great.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

blackjack is offline Senior Member

Here is the best side view picture I have so far. He likes to move We are trying to move the middle meal since he does better at breakfast and dinner. We do wet down his kibble and he seems to prefer that over dry.

Rusty, Blaze & Buster Brown
    BJ - 3/9/2007 - 2/6/12 - miss you everyday
    Boomer - ? - 3/15/12 - always in my heart