maddy started her allergy shots today

Thread: maddy started her allergy shots today

Defaultmaddy started her allergy shots today

Well, Maddy, my 6month old lab mix started her allery shots today. We had blood work done and she is allergic to 22 things and borderline on 7!! doctor said it's one of the worst reports he's seen. pretty much every grass and tree is included as well as oat, potato's, green pea, venison, egg, soybean, and wheat!
    needless to say, finding a dry food that didn't have any of this was hard, but i found natures recipe easy to digest lamb, rice, barley and she seems to love it.

has anyone here had to go through this? was it succesful?? thanks keith

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: maddy started her allergy shots today

my portuguese water dog began scatching incessantly at about 1yrs old. we tried benadryl, a slew of other meds, a humidifier, vet food w/base-ingredients but nothing helped. my regular vet rec'd an allergist-vet. she did two prick tests (shaved a spot on his belly and pricked him w/all the inhalant irritants she suspected) but for whatever reason my hyper andy never reacted--she said maybe his adrenaline kicked in, and, so she tried taking his blood: the simple blood-test showed a long list of irritants, mostly pollen and molds. she taught us how to shoot him up w/this allergy-tincture she fed-exed every 2 mos (155.= 930. a year). at first the shots seemed to work. andy still scratched but a lot less. he was on the shots from about 1.5yrs old until last year when he was 7.5yrs old when he seemed to be scratching and gnawing at himself like before the shots. i figured i'd stop the shots to see what would happen. andy and my lab, tina-louise, were on solid gold hund-n-flocken, a decent brand; anyway, i switched both dogs to nature's variety raw. the lab's coat got shinier, their poop got less stinky and my andy still has lil' fits of scratching--usually around 6am and i have wooden floors (drives me nuts! poor dog!--but not any less or more than w/the shots.

so:5+yrs 5,000.00 worth of shots and vet bills for no noticeable benefit. what i'm saying is, try everything from flaxseed-oil to a raw diet--even if the geniuses tell you food & inhalant allergies march to a different drum.
    rob

DefaultRe: maddy started her allergy shots today

the shots i'm giving are every 2 days at first, then spread to 5 and so on and at 8months in it's once a month but its not as expensive as what yours was. the first 8 months was around $275 for all of it and the boosters will be about 50. i'm going to try it for at least a year and see how she reacts. i also am trying the other methods you metioned.