How much food??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much food??

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

DefaultHow much food??

How much food should an almost three month old pup be eating? Dozer is on Pro Plan Large Breed Puppy and I'm giving him 3 1/2 cups of food per day. I put the 3 1/2 cups in his bowl at the beginning of the day, at 6:30-7:00AM his dish is put down for him for 15-20 minutes and he eats what he wants and then I pick it up again ... same thing happens at 1:00PM and again around 6:30PM. Last week he was getting only 3 cups of food (same process) but he was still acting hungry at the end of the day so I upped it 1/2 a cup. A friend of mine seems to think that's an awful lot of food for a puppy, but I figure he's a growing boy and as long as he's not getting fat it's a-okay.

Does this seem like a reasonable amount of food?
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

3 cups a day is average, but I don't think 3-1/2 will hurt him any right now. I stopped the 3 per day feeding at around 4 months.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

nicole is offline Senior Member

The total amount is ok but that's a strange way to feed it. Just put 1-1.25c in the bowl each feeding. The way your doing it, he's probably getting a smaller meal at night so he is hungry.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

Okay your Lab pup has a food bown for 15-20 minutes and does NOT finish the food! ALL my dogs have their food down in SECONDS! LOL
    Even Sully who eats 4 cups (8months old) can eat it in less than one minutes.

I say 3.5-4 is average for this age. I split it in two feedings. Sully has been eating about 4 cups a day since 4 months. Two in the AM and two in the PM.
    Kim

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

My Puff steadily increased her consumption up to 5 cups/day when she was about 8 months old but then began cutting back, skipping meals, until she got down to 2 scant cups/day.

£
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Quote Originally Posted by cinderbay View Post
    Okay your Lab pup has a food bown for 15-20 minutes and does NOT finish the food! ALL my dogs have their food down in SECONDS! LOL
    Even Sully who eats 4 cups (8months old) can eat it in less than one minutes.

I say 3.5-4 is average for this age. I split it in two feedings. Sully has been eating about 4 cups a day since 4 months. Two in the AM and two in the PM.
    I know! It's CRAZY! Cybil would have had it all gone in four seconds flat. He is very good about it. He rations his meals too. Smallest amount at breakfast, and then a bigger amount at both lunch and dinner.

It is a weird way to feed him, but that's how the breeder did it with their dogs and pups, so we just continued. I will change him to X amount of cups a day soon. It's easier to keep track that way.

Thanks everyone.
    ~Samantha

Is this per feeding time or all day. Because my new lab puppy, who is also my first, only gets 1.5 cups each meals time but he eats 3 times a day. I'm confused. The last time we had a puppy was 10 yrs ago with our beagle (who is the greatest dog in the world) and i was really young. Jack was my bithday present.

labby is offline Senior Member

I'm with the others. The food goes down for no more than 5 minutes. What doesn't get eaten is what they get at the next meal....period. No food gets added until the bowl is empty and then they only get additional food at the next scheduled feeding.

I have to say, except for Seamus who is the sloooowest eater I've ever had, the food usually lasts 3 seconds. Then everyone runs to Seamus' dish and tries to eat his.

The amount your feeding sounds good, but I would change the routine.

Laura

If I left it down for only five minutes he would eat close to nothing. He is the slowest eater I have ever seen. If he eats faster I pick the food up sooner, but it definitely takes waaay longer than 5 minutes. He loves food, but he just likes to savour it. LOL
    ~Samantha

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Labradorable View Post
    If I left it down for only five minutes he would eat close to nothing. He is the slowest eater I have ever seen. If he eats faster I pick the food up sooner, but it definitely takes waaay longer than 5 minutes. He loves food, but he just likes to savour it. LOL
    I'm just curious - he's actually eating the entire time just chewing slowly? Or does he take a few kibbles than walk away and come back a few minutes later?

I did have one dog that would take like 5 pieces of kibble from the bowl, drop them on the ground a few feet away then eat them one by one there LOL.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast