Who Here Feeds Wellness?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who Here Feeds Wellness?

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

DefaultWho Here Feeds Wellness?

Hi all. I want to switch my puppy's food from Pro Plan to something healthier. She's been awfully itchy, scratching a lot, and her skin is really dry. I don't know if it has anything to do with her food or not, but I would like to switch it anyway. I'm thinking of trying Wellness. Just not sure if I should feed her Large Breed Puppy formula or Adult. (The breeder said to switch at 5 months old, which we are just doing now, and she is 6 months old.) Thanks for any tips!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

JacksAndLabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Who Here Feeds Wellness?

Wellness doesn't have a large breed formula. So if you were going to switch to an adult formula, I'd go with that. Be aware that wellness is too rich for many dogs, causing gas and loose stool. I wouldn't call it any healthier than pro-plan.

I fed both the puppy and adult formulas to my jack russells in the past and was happy with it...but they're currently doing just as well on pro plan
    ~Nicole<br />Grand Ledge, MI<br /><br />

TobyBlackKenobi is offline Senior Member

We started with Wellness but it was too rich for Toby (lose stool) .
    The next we tried was Canidae Lamb/Rice. It is a very good food, too, and works well for us since over 4 month now.

Tobysmom
    Toby&#039;s Mom<br />California Central Coast<br /><br />

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jasmine Dream is offline Senior Member

same here.. i tried wellness for a while.. and while jazz loved the taste, it was a little too rich. I went back to Breeder's Choice - Pinnacle line and she is doing great!!

Twinpond's Jasmine "Jazz" Dream
    Born 12.31.04

Visit Jazz's Web Site

klxmaddy is offline Junior Member

i tried the wellness fish/sweet potato mix and it gave my dog loose stool and she didn't seem to like the taste.

georgie is offline Senior Member

I tried Molly on Wellness. She ate it just fine but before I made the switch totally, I noriced her stools were loose. I think it was too rich for her. So we went back to the ProPlan Chicken & Rice & that works well for her.

tangelo53 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by JacksAndLabs
    Wellness doesn't have a large breed formula. So if you were going to switch to an adult formula, I'd go with that. Be aware that wellness is too rich for many dogs, causing gas and loose stool. I wouldn't call it any healthier than pro-plan.

I fed both the puppy and adult formulas to my jack russells in the past and was happy with it...but they're currently doing just as well on pro plan
    I think that Wellness is much healthier than Pro Plan... my vet always told me to stay away from foods with corn and wheat, and Proplan has wheat. And they don't say what the protein source is on their website,which is a little strange to me. see comparisons below- both Chicken products.

ProPlan: Ingredients

Chicken (20%), Rice (15%), Maize, Dehydrated poultry protein, Maize gluten, Wheat, Animal fat, Digest, Beet pulp, Dried egg, Yeast, Fish oil, Calcium phosphate, Potassium chloride, Sodium chloride, Calcium carbonate, Minerals. Copper (as Copper Sulphate) 12 mg/Kg. Vitamin A 21000 IU/Kg, Vitamin D3 1600 IU/Kg, Vitamin E 155 mg/Kg, Vitamin C 70 mg/Kg. Antioxidant: Tocopherol

Wellness: Ingredients
    Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Oatmeal, Ground Barley, Ground Brown Rice, Tomato Pomace, Rye Flour, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a natural source of vitamin E), Tomatoes (natural source of Lycopene), Rice Bran (from brown rice), Whitefish, Natural Chicken Flavor, Carrots, Spinach, Sweet Potatoes, Apples, Blueberries, Flaxseed, Ground Millet, Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride

Minerals
    Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate (a chelated source of zinc), Iron Proteinate (a chelated source of iron), Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Proteinate (a chelated source of copper), Copper Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate (a chelated source of manganese), Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite

Vitamins
    Beta Carotene, Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Mixed Tocopherols (a natural preservative), Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Chondroitin Sulfate, Chicory Root Extract, Garlic, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Green Tea Extract, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterococcus Faecium, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus.

Wellness® uses ethoxyquin-free protein sources

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by tangelo53
    I think that Wellness is much healthier than Pro Plan.
    Well if a food is too rich for your dog and it gets diarrhea, then obviously its not healthier for your dog. You need to feed what works and for many that's ProPlan.

Laura

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

Gave it a try once...not happy with stool and the gas was horrible. Can't forget that we fed the fish formula and the fish smell came through her skin (this also happened on Eagle - but I like all the other eagle foods).

We finally settled on ProPlan Sensative Skin and Stomach and now she has been on ProPlan Senior Chicken and Rice for some time and doing FABULOUS!! She has better coat than I have seen a a while.
    I am very happy with ProPlan. *as a side note though I feed my other dogs Diamond and Professional Pet Food LB Puppy (or Eukanuba LB Puppy-I make the switch after the first bag is gone)
    Kim

tangelo53 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labby
    Quote Originally Posted by tangelo53
    I think that Wellness is much healthier than Pro Plan.
    Well if a food is too rich for your dog and it gets diarrhea, then obviously its not healthier for your dog. You need to feed what works and for many that's ProPlan.
    Obviously i wouldn't feed it if there were problems. it doesn't cause any issues for my 3 dogs....Wow, didn't realize an opinion from a vet could cause an uproar...sorry! I was told that the quality of meats in ProPlan is not as good..I used to feed Pro Plan and was told to switch. My vet recommended either wellness or california natural. they are all doing great...they gained weight on proplan, now they are where they are supposed to be. Can't be coincidence! Just wanted to pass the info along.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast