vision problem

Thread: vision problem

maggies mum is offline Junior Member

Defaultvision problem

Hi,

I'm very new here, so excuse me if this subject has been covered before, but I couldn't find anything on it when I tried a search.

I have a seven month old and she's started having vision problems. If I stand still and ask her to "watch me" instead of looking at my face which she used to, she kind of looks around the edge of me. She has no problem running after small bits of cheese in the back yard when I throw them, it's just when I'm standing still she can't seem to focus. Her eyes go all crossed and then she just looks somewhere else like she's not comfortable with the situation (she would previously "watch me" for ages when she knew a treat was coming). She's not walking into doors or anything like that, and she can definitely still see the cat sitting up the tree, it's just the close up stuff. Kind of like a child with a lazy eye.

Any ideas? I've got an appointment with my vet, but I'm wondering if I should take her to an vet opthamologist.

Also, if anyone can express a preferance for a pet insurance carrier, I'd be most grateful.

Thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: vision problem

Labradors can, as a breed, be predisposed to a number of eye problems, many of which can result in vision problems. That is why eye-testing (annual CERF exams and Optigen testing) is so important in the breed when breeders are considering who to "use" for breeding purposes (both males and females).

Is it easier for her to focus on your face when you are actually talking, or does she continue to stare "around" you in spite of where your voice is coming from?

I would probably be tempted to forgo the appointment with your regular veterinarian and use the money saved to go to a board-certified veterinary opthalmologist instead. Perhaps there will be a simple "fix" for her vision problems?

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

maggies mum is offline Junior Member

she has problems focusing even when I speak to her. One eye will look at me if I move my mouth, the other will cross, and then she'll look away, try to look back, have problems focusing again and so on.

I've changed my regular vet appointment for an opthalmologist appointment. Luckily there's a place in my town (San Carlos if anyone has an opinion on it? "Veterinary Vision") so I don't have to travel too far.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

I think that is a fantastic plan, and I hope that it all goes well. Please let us know what the opthalmologist says...Hopefully there is nothing wrong at all!

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

So glad you are seeing an optho.

Prayers that this is nothing serious. Please keep us posted.