Not sleeping thru night anymore

Thread: Not sleeping thru night anymore

mommytoharley is offline Junior Member

DefaultNot sleeping thru night anymore

Jack has recently been limping so I took him to the vet for an exam. They determined that he has pulled his shoulder muscle and additionally has a nail infection on a front toe. He's on Dermamaxx (anti-inflammatory) and Cephalexin (antibiotic) respectively. Problem is that because he can't go for walks (no pounding on the leg) and can't really play, he's been very restless. He sleeps on & off for most of the day when we're both at work - and when we're not we keep him busy as much as possible, but at night only gives us about 2-3 hours of sleep at a time. He's been whining a lot and barking at 2-3 a.m. and quite frankly it's becoming nerve-racking. Both hubby and I are losing sleep and not sure what else we can do to help him get a better night's sleep. :-[

We play with him at night on the floor with all of his toys and try to keep him occupied as much as possible without spending too much time on his bad leg. We even keep him up as late as possible to try and wear him out. With the exception of last night, this hasn't worked. I suppose he's just not tired because of lack of play and exercise.

Any tips on how we can get a peaceful's night sleep and get him the rest he needs to recover?? I really feel bad for the little guy (not so little at 70 lbs), but just don't know what else to try to keep him calm/asleep through the night.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_bacatherine is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Not sleeping thru night anymore

Try playing mind games and doing some obedience with him. Mental stimulation will wear them out too so try hiding treats around the house for him to find or put his meals in a buster cube or something like that. Other than that someone on here recently used melatonin (sp?) when they moved to keep their dog calm maybe ask the vet if you could give him some at night for a few nights until he heals more to help him sleep.
    <br />Barbara, Mocha, Zeus, &amp; Smeagol

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

From what I understand in humans melatonin only works for someone who can not fall asleep but does not work for one who can fall asleep but can't stay asleep.

Not sure if this is the same in dogs.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mommytoharley is offline Junior Member

Ok so the past 2 nights, he's been doing much better and actually sleeping - or at least letting us sleep. He was up at 4:45 this morning for his trip outside, but other than that I haven't heard a peep out of him. He's not limping so much anymore, so I'm guessing the meds have been working their magic and he's feeling better. Will still take it slow and I'm going to try taking him for a short walk tonight for the exercise; will try the hiding the treats trick too. Thanks for the tip!