Just Labradors banner

Peeing in her sleep

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  JaksLax 
#1 ·
I have a 14 week old Chocolate Lab, and about once a week or so during the night she will pee in her cage while she is sleeping. She doesnt make any noise to say she has to go out till after she makes a mess. I have taken her to the vet and gave them a urine sample and they said there is nothing wrong with her urine. I really want to help her stop this, but I dont know what to do. Also we had her pretty well house broken, and then about 3 weeks ago she has started making a turn for the worse. She is peeing in the house and not telling us she has to go outside, or she will go to the door to say she has to go out, but pee's on the floor before we can even get to the door to let her out. Do you think these 2 things are related? I have talked to some people at my local retriever club, and they say females have a common problem with peeing in their sleep. Has anyone else had this problem? The club members have also to me that their is medicine out there I could give her to stop the peeing in the sleep. Any idea of what that medicine is called, and if I can get it without doing another vet visit? Thanks for all your help.

G
#4 ·
Could it be she has had a growth spurt where her bladder may just be a step ahead of her abilities? I know that can happen in kids---they go through a growth spurt and their bladder gets bigger which gets fuller which releases a lot quicker and surprises them. It is smart to get the urine checked first though.

We had to go back to square one with our Phoebe (9 months) after surgery. Once I knew the steroids and stuff were gone, I started back with the crate training. She was back to not sleeping through the night and not telling us she had to go out. It was much easier the second time around, you just have to go back a few steps. You may even have a few more points in the future as she grows that you have to go back again. Last night--Phoebe made it 5 1/2 hours and it felt so good to sleep.

Good Luck!

DG

#6 ·
I have a friend whose Border Collie mix has the same problem. It turned out to be some sort of hormone imbalance (not sure what that would have to do with anything, but it does), and the dog is on estrogen replacement that seems to take care of the problem. However, it's a good possibility your girl's problem could be something else.

#7 ·
She just got spayed yesterday. She is still having the same problem. She just wont tell us that she has to go outside. Ive tried the bell for about 2 weeks now and she hasnt caught on to that yet. I think I got to go back to square one with her. I will keep everyone posted on our progress and thanks for the suggestions.

#11 ·
Hi,
I have recently had to deal with this sort of problem. I have a female German Shepherd that is 2.5 yrs old that I adopted from a local animal shelter. She is spayed and the surgery had been done before she went to turned up at the animal shelter. She happened to have the urinary incontinence problem of peeing in her sleep and when awake if she was sitting around relaxing. At the time I noticed this problem, I could not tell if she had a physical problem causing her incontinence or if it was behavioral. I had thought this problem may have been a result of her not peeing often enough due to the fact that she is particular about where she goes to the bathroom. If it's not in the spot she has chosen as her bathroom area, she will hold it. I think that's insane, but that's Alpha. She has since been to the vet, had blood tests, and a urinalysis which all came back clear. My vet prescribed a medication called "Proin". It was effective, immediately and she has not had any accidents so far.
From reading about urinary incontinence in dogs on the web, it seems that this problem is more common in females that have been spayed which leads me to speculate that the cause is due to hormonal changes that cause muscles in the urinary tract to loose strength.
Well, that's all I know so far, hope it helps.
Bonnie

#12 ·
Spaying her was not the problem. She was doing this well before she got spayed. I spayed her that early because I wanted to get it taken care of and get her time to heal before we move to a new home next month. My trainer said also that 14 weeks old is the perfect time to start to get the dogs fixed. But I have been setting my alarm and getting up with her about 3 or 4 hours after I put her to bed, and she hasn't had a problem during the night. But during the day if she is in her crate for more than 3 hours she seems to have an accident. I make sure she goes outside before I leave her. So I dont know why she cant hold her bladder for more than 3 hours at a time. I am thinking about going back to the vet to have blood work done, and see if I can get some kind of medication to help her out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.