Peeing in her sleep
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peeing in her sleep

DefaultPeeing in her sleep

I have a 14 week old Chocolate Lab, and about once a week or so during the night she will pee in her cage while she is sleeping. She doesnt make any noise to say she has to go out till after she makes a mess. I have taken her to the vet and gave them a urine sample and they said there is nothing wrong with her urine. I really want to help her stop this, but I dont know what to do. Also we had her pretty well house broken, and then about 3 weeks ago she has started making a turn for the worse. She is peeing in the house and not telling us she has to go outside, or she will go to the door to say she has to go out, but pee's on the floor before we can even get to the door to let her out. Do you think these 2 things are related? I have talked to some people at my local retriever club, and they say females have a common problem with peeing in their sleep. Has anyone else had this problem? The club members have also to me that their is medicine out there I could give her to stop the peeing in the sleep. Any idea of what that medicine is called, and if I can get it without doing another vet visit? Thanks for all your help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Peeing in her sleep

She is young, needs more time. Try putting a bell on a string by your back door and teaching that as a signal to go out.

http://www.clickersolutions.com/arti...setraining.htm

As for the middle of the night. Just set an alarm, get up and take her out. Go out with her and praise.
    Kim

Thanks. I started with the bell and will see how it goes.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Skubaa Guest

Could it be she has had a growth spurt where her bladder may just be a step ahead of her abilities? I know that can happen in kids---they go through a growth spurt and their bladder gets bigger which gets fuller which releases a lot quicker and surprises them. It is smart to get the urine checked first though.

We had to go back to square one with our Phoebe (9 months) after surgery. Once I knew the steroids and stuff were gone, I started back with the crate training. She was back to not sleeping through the night and not telling us she had to go out. It was much easier the second time around, you just have to go back a few steps. You may even have a few more points in the future as she grows that you have to go back again. Last night--Phoebe made it 5 1/2 hours and it felt so good to sleep.

Good Luck!

DG

saskasmum is offline Senior Member

Saska was about 20 wks before she was completely clean, she would pee in the kitchen several times a night, now she will stand by the door and if we do not see her she will bark, but I have heard the bell is a really good way to go

I have a friend whose Border Collie mix has the same problem. It turned out to be some sort of hormone imbalance (not sure what that would have to do with anything, but it does), and the dog is on estrogen replacement that seems to take care of the problem. However, it's a good possibility your girl's problem could be something else.

She just got spayed yesterday. She is still having the same problem. She just wont tell us that she has to go outside. Ive tried the bell for about 2 weeks now and she hasnt caught on to that yet. I think I got to go back to square one with her. I will keep everyone posted on our progress and thanks for the suggestions.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Curious as to why you would spay a 14 week old puppy? Or was this the recommendation of your vet?

Curious as to why you would spay a 14 week old puppy?
    My friends' dog was also an early spay at the Humane Society...the vet thinks this is related to her similar issue.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

I have never spayed a dog this young so have no experience with the outcome.

Have heard that early spaying can cause problems such as incontinence.

I'm not sure that is your case. Is she squatting and going in her crate or is she soaking wet in the a.m. all over her back legs? This would be an indication of leaking in her sleep/incontinence.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast