dandruff and shedding

Thread: dandruff and shedding

Defaultdandruff and shedding

do any off you good people out there know of a good shampoo that helps with not so much shedding
    but the relief off dry skin.
    thanks
    rick

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: dandruff and shedding

Labs don't normally need regular baths, unless they've rolled in something stinky! Too frequent bathing can strip their coat of protective oils, and lead to dry flaky skin.

I think fish/fish oil supplements could help with the dry skin, Bandit is still a pup? I'm not sure how much to give. Hopefully someone will happen upon this thread with that knowledge!

Oh, and a ZoomGroom will be your new best friend!

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I agree with Henrysmom. Clear fresh water is fine but shampoo should be rare and usually for spot cleaning -- and always a shampoo specifically formulated for dogs.

Some people use "baby shampoo" assuming it's gentle.

Wrong!!

Shampoo formulated for human skin is many times more acidic than dog's skin (which is much closer to neutral between acidic and alkali) so using any human shampoo often/usually irritates a dog's skin and causes dandruff and shedding.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I would just like to get a little clarification here:

So it's normal that my pup has dandruff? He is just about to be 5 months old. Should I worry about adding anything to his food yet?

He has it all the time it seems like LOL

Trickster is offline Senior Member

So it's normal that my pup has dandruff? He is just about to be 5 months old. Should I worry about adding anything to his food yet?
    Dandruff can be caused by all kinds of things and it isn't necessarily connected to food. Dry weather, stress and even swimming and allergies can cause it. If you don't think any of those are the culprits then it may well be the food. Adding oily fish (I use tinned sardines) and 1-2 raw eggs a week to a dogs diet can work wonders for the coat. Sometimes all that is needed is a bit of extra fat.

He's not too young for that kind of stuff? Sweet! I will try that out, thanks for your advice, you're always reliable!

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Not at all. If you are uncomfortable with feeding the raw eggs just use the sardines or buy some fish oil. I'm not saying that these are surefire 'cure' for dandruff but they certainly can't hurt.

I forgot to say that occasional dandruff on an otherwise healthy dog is normal...often it just comes and goes on its own and is nothing to worry about.

Dani is offline Senior Member

to answer the OP about shedding. Welcome to Labs...they shed year around and alot. Nothing can or does help but regular brushing.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Another question here:

What about adding Flaxseed Oil to his food? Is that too extreme? And if I did, how much should I add per week?

Thank you for any advice!

The girls get a capsule of salmon oil daily. (Price Club brand) As you can see from the pics, their coat is beautiful and shinny. We still get the occasional dandruff episode in the winter, but then everybody's skin is dry so why not theirs too
    Pat