Rough Play and Sick Puppy

Thread: Rough Play and Sick Puppy

Cheecky is offline Junior Member

DefaultRough Play and Sick Puppy

Hi everyone,
    I have a 9 month old puppy, and am really concerned - I've never had a dog before, so I don't know if this is common or not -

My husband and I went away for a week, and we had our puppy stay with his parents. They have a dog of their own. Our dog is usually crated throughout the day while we're at work. My husband's mother stays at home, so our dog was able to run around all day and play with the other dog while we were gone.
    When we got back, we brought him back to our house, where he plays a little rough with the other neighbourhood labs (which he just loves). They also jump in dirty water that's around our house.

A few days went by, and now he won't eat, he stares out into space, he looks like he's having a hard time walking (almost limping... like he hesitates to go down the stairs, but he'll still manage to do it on his own).
    We've taken him the vet, and the vet said that he just needs to relax, but I'm still concerned.

Has anyone else experienced this? He was really sore today, and I don't know how long this will last, or if there is really something wrong with him?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Rough Play and Sick Puppy

Personally I don't like your vets response with a lethargic, non eating, limping puppy. What in the world does "needing to relax" have to do with any of that.

If he was just sleeping more, eating and not limping - I would say he is exhausted from all the full time play on his vacation that he is not used to at home. But its been a few days now and he should have recuperated by now.

The limping could be as minor as Pano and an x-ray can determine that (growing pains).

Please get a second opinion for your baby. If it were my pup that is what I would do and not in the same clinic.

How long has he been not eating? Is the limping shifting from limb to limb? Is he drinking water? Be sure he doesn't dehydrate. Are his stools - if any - normal?

I feel the same way about the doctor.

My dog has been slowing down on his eating as soon as the weather got hot (he's taking longer to eat it, but he still eats it all), but he hasn't eaten going on almost 2 days now. When we went to the vet, the doctor gave him some special wet food and he ate it right up. I tried giving him a treat, which he only ate half of.

I'm not sure if it's a mix of the hot weather, complete change in atmosphere and exercise routine, or if he's mad at us or misses the others. But, I can't stand to look at him just laying there, and what I think looks like he's in some sort of pain.

I guess I'm afraid of the worst - having a slipped disk or something like that. Maybe I'm just being too paranoid?!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

He is drinking water, and from what I saw of his stool (last time he did it was yesterday morning), it looked normal. He doesn't cry when I pet him or try to feel around for bruises or anything. And he's not disoriented either - he still goes to the same spots he usually does, he just doesn't have any energy at all.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

When is the last time a full blood panel was done on him?

Check the expiration date on your bag of food - are you sure its not in the food recall?

No healthy Lab I know will refuse food (unless its bad) even if they are mad as hell at their owner (which is highly unlikely that you pup is mad for going and leaving him.)

The extreme heat can at times dull an appetite but not for 2 days IMO.

I would get him to another vet ASAP - better safe than sorry. The limping may not be Pano but could by Lyme - even if your pup has been vaccinated.

One of my girls was choking the other night for about 20 minutes and then drank water and it all came right back up. In the car we go and off to the ER. Well as soon as she got in the car the choking stopped but I continued to the ER anyway for safety sake and peace of mind. Luckily x-rays showed nothing.