fudging ear infections!!!!!!!!!!

Thread: fudging ear infections!!!!!!!!!!

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

Defaultfudging ear infections!!!!!!!!!!

One oral dose of antibiotics, two courses of ear drops and Gryph's ear problems are back!!! I am unable to get him to the vet this week but we go in next Wednesday.
    I am at my wits end!!!!!!!!!!!
    I think if he would just stop CLEANING Cinder's ears this would probably not be such a problem.
    Kim

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

julia is offline Senior Member

Ear problems are horrible. My Ozzy has recurrent infections and the vet had to put him on : A hypo allergenic diet
    cephalexin `3 x 500mg twice a day
    vanectyl p 2 tablets every other day
    ketoconazole 1 tablet every other day
    cleaning + Surolan
    burros solution drops (these drops worked wonders for him )
    His ears and allergies are under control now. I found the last recurrent infection needed the 3 weeks of antibiotics to really allow the infection to heal up. Not sure if this will help your poor Gryph but hope he feels better soon.

Cheers
    Julia

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

I feel your pain, Rhys gets the worst ear infections known to man.

Here's my secret, clears 'em right up.

Clean out any debris with gauze and q tip. Fill the canal with Burosol in the am (available in a powder at the pharmacy, mix with distilled water and now a solution...we use it on human ears where I work)

In the pm, Otomax. Fill the whole canal.

After about 3 days, all better. It doesn't matter what gets prescribed, whats under the microscope, after almost 8 years, I know this works. He only gets an ear infection every 3-4 months or so. But he gets them all the time. He doesn't eat grain, and none of his ca meds are the culpit.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

julia is offline Senior Member

I would like to try the Burosol with Ozzy...do you need a prescription to get it ? He is also on a grain free diet. He has really bad allergies on all levels to the point he has had to have allergy testing at Guelph U. His dermatologist could never get his allergies under control even with allergy shots for 1 1/2 years. We are now on maitaince doses of vanectyl p and ketoconazole . Even with the meds his ears get infected a few times a year. I would like to avoid the antibiotics if at all possible.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

I would try the purple solution and you should be able to avoid the Otomox.

Put in the ear with eye dropper 2x/week and leave in and clean 1-2x/week on days you don't use purple solution. do this for 6 weeks. My moms dogs gunky ears cleared up and have been clean for 4 months now. I use 1/3 water, 1/3 witch hazel or alchohol, 1/3 w. vinigar for the cleaning.

The gentian violet stains so don't put too much in or when dog shakes head it will get all over. Or do it outside. I heard you can get in a clear formula but was not able to find it.

Here is the recipee:

16 oz. bottle isopropyl alcohol (or witch hazel)
    4 tablespoons Boric Acid Powder
    16 drops Gentian Violet 1% Solution

Mix all ingredients in the alcohol bottle & shake. I transfer to a small eye dropper bottle.

(shake before every application).

Shane23 is offline Senior Member

I feel your pain. My first lab had horrible ear problems.
    Laura

Summerlin's Inspired by Armani CD (Shane)

I came on here looking for advice about ear infections and here I am. This is Sophie's first...she's been shaking her head and scratching her ear for two days. Yesterday, I thought it was better because she hasn't been scratching. But today, it's back...her ear is really red. I cleaned it out and put a bit of antibiotic ointment in it (bacitracin) which didn't seem to bother her.

She is just about 7 months old. My questions are:

1) Can I wait until Monday to take her to the vet?

2) What can I do this weekend to help her be more comfortable?

3) Is there anyway to tell if it's bacterial/viral or allergy?

She's been on the same diet for months. We just recently changed her "treat" from regular kibble to some other kibble that we got at the pet store. She ate it when she was younger, but if she's got an allergy, I'll bet it's that. I won't be giving it to her anymore. She's been eating it for about a week now.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    Lynn